Still confused about feeding ducks pellets…

anonymous99

Songster
Jun 20, 2021
I’m very confused about what kind of pellets to give my pekin ducks. They’re 15 weeks old at the moment, but the time is approaching for them to start eating pellets in 6 weeks. I have 7 drakes and 2 hens. I’ve been doing some research on what kind of pellets they need, but i’m still confused. I have no plans to let my ducks breed bc I can’t afford to have anymore little ones running around. Do I need to feed the drakes a different kind of pellets while the hens eat a different kind too? If so, do the hens need to continue eating the same pellets, even if they lay non fertile eggs and aren’t breeding with the drakes? If they lay non fertile eggs, do they still need oyster shells? I’ve read that layer pellets can cause kidney problems in drakes. I’m very confused. They all have to have protein at 16%, correct?

I’m very confused about what kind of pellets to give my pekin ducks. They’re 15 weeks old at the moment, but the time is approaching for them to start eating pellets in 6 weeks. I have 7 drakes and 2 hens. I’ve been doing some research on what kind of pellets they need, but i’m still confused. I have no plans to let my ducks breed bc I can’t afford to have anymore little ones running around. Do I need to feed the drakes a different kind of pellets while the hens eat a different kind too? If so, do the hens need to continue eating the same pellets, even if they lay non fertile eggs and aren’t breeding with the drakes? If they lay non fertile eggs, do they still need oyster shells? I’ve read that layer pellets can cause kidney problems in drakes. I’m very confused. They all have to have protein at 16%, correct?
I give my ducks layena with the chickens, but if you just have ducks i don't think it matters as long as the food says that it's for ducks. Its different if you want to show them, though. Oyster shells are for the shells of the eggs, regardless of fertility. Your hens need to have grit. You will definitely have ti either purchase females or rehome some drakes. I'm not an expert on ducks, though.

I agree with @fatty and friends that ratio is way too high of male to female.
However, you mentioned non-fertile eggs so maybe you have a plan for a drake flock and a separate hen flock?
As for feed, I have a mixed flock of chickens and ducks with a drake, rooster, and hens of both species. They are on an all flock feed. Oyster shell on the side. The oyster shell would need to be available for all laying poultry as they need extra calcium to produce the egg shells whether fertile or not.

Are you keeping ducks for eggs? If not...I'd second the recommendations here about going with an all drake flock.

if duck eggs are a priority then splitting into two flocks would be necessary. Or rehoming all those drakes, ouch.

All flock feed should be fine. Oyster shell on the side for egg layers.

Your gonna need to rehome some of those males otherwise they will kill the hens fighting for them
i recommend rehoming the hens. an all drake flock will be best, since drakes have a hard time finding homes (it’ll be easy finding safe homes for your hens) and all drake flocks are also much easier to care for (simpler diet than girls, no hens for them to fight over, no egg related sicknesses, etc etc)
What if i have no plans to rehome any ducks? I recently built a new coop for them, which is much bigger and they’re able to walk around it and i was thinking that i could put a divider or something in the middle and put the hens on the other side of it.

What if i have no plans to rehome any ducks? I recently built a new coop for them, which is much bigger and they’re able to walk around it and i was thinking that i could put a divider or something in the middle and put the hens on the other side of it.
If you can keep they separated 24/7 then that approach is fine. I keep a drake pen so my drakes are separated and I don't have any issues. As for feed, everyone both hens and drakes in my flock get Mazuri Waterfowl Maintenance and then oyster shells are offered on the side. A cheaper alternative which I think is still fabulous feed is Kalmbach's maintenance

Last edited:
Are you keeping ducks for eggs? If not...I'd second the recommendations here about going with an all drake flock.

if duck eggs are a priority then splitting into two flocks would be necessary. Or rehoming all those drakes, ouch.

Will all

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-dumor-17-all-flock-pellet-50-lb-3006315-206#
would this work for my ducks? It’s 17% protein (their feed now is 18%). Not sure about the niacin though.

I agree with @fatty and friends that ratio is way too high of male to female.
However, you mentioned non-fertile eggs so maybe you have a plan for a drake flock and a separate hen flock?
As for feed, I have a mixed flock of chickens and ducks with a drake, rooster, and hens of both species. They are on an all flock feed. Oyster shell on the side. The oyster shell would need to be available for all laying poultry as they need extra calcium to produce the egg shells whether fertile or not.
So all flock feed for both drakes and hens? And oyster shell for hens? Is it okay to get the purina bag of it? I think that that’s the only kind my tractor supply has

Back
Top Bottom