1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

STILL confused about quail food...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Oct 7, 2010.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I asked, and was told to feed them non-medicated game-bird. So I go to the feed store and no one has anything less than a 50# bag. (I only have two quail). So I start looking around and see dove/ quail mix seeds. I buy a pound of it and give it to them and they hate it. Wont touch it. So I give them some chicken crumbles in the meantime and they love them. So I go back to the store and start looking at game-bird... come to find out there is one with 24% protein, one with 26% protein, and one with 30% protein...

Now I am totally confused. What do I get them?

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:They need at least 28 % protein. I'd say 30 %

3. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    I understand your confusion! Game bird feed comes in a variety of protein levels. They even go as far down as 12.5% in some lines. Also the protein levels for "STARTER" varies from 26-30% depending on the manufacturer. At least the 3 brands that I'm familiar with.
    Either would fine for me, and preferable to chicken feed, at any protein level. There is more to game bird feed than protein levels!

I also understand the quantity issue. If your 2 birds are grown, and as long as you are not expecting top performance, fast growth, maximum egg production, etc., then the highest protein chicken starter/flock raiser formula should be fine. Not the best thing in the world, but fine.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Thank you for the answers. I will go back and get a bag of the game-bird starter. I can always give some to my new Cornish that are coming next week. [​IMG]

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I feed ALL my gamebird chicks, chicken chicks, and ducklings Gamebird starter....found that it contains all the essential vitamins, minerals, and protein needed for all babies and I have healthy strong adults now [​IMG]

6. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Thats what I am starting to do, give it to my Ducks and my Teenage Chicken chicks. Growing out nicely.

I understand your confusion! Game bird feed comes in a variety of protein levels. They even go as far down as 12.5% in some lines. Also the protein levels for "STARTER" varies from 26-30% depending on the manufacturer. At least the 3 brands that I'm familiar with.
    Either would fine for me, and preferable to chicken feed, at any protein level. There is more to game bird feed than protein levels!

Joe123 I know you aren't kidding, but your kidding, they actually call a 12.5% protein a game bird feed. That has to be a maintenance or a flight conditioner feed, for the true gamebirds.

But it just goes to show, we have to really pay attention when we are out there buying our feed. I totally agree that there is more to the feed than what the protein % is.​

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I feed ALL my gamebird chicks, chicken chicks, and ducklings Gamebird starter....found that it contains all the essential vitamins, minerals, and protein needed for all babies and I have healthy strong adults now

You even feed the regular chicken chicks this feed... I haven't heard of this, is there a benefit, or do you do it just because that is what you are feeding the rest?

I'd like to have not not buy 3 different types of feed... [​IMG]

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I feed ALL my gamebird chicks, chicken chicks, and ducklings Gamebird starter.

Me too...of course this makes other duck owner's heads explode. "ANGEL WING ARRGGG!!!" yet I don't get angel wing in my ducklings at all. I did have 2 baby quail die so I am not so sure it has quite EVERYTHING. If my goofy hen goes broody again I will be adding some brewer's yeast.​

9. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Just a suggestion on the bag size situation.

Check around there. I have 1 feed store close by that caters to people that have small numbers. They open a 25# or a 50# bag and sell it by the pound. They either sell the rest of the bag after a short time or use it for their own birds. The only reason I even know about this possibility is that is the only bag they had one time when I called on available supply. I don't normally buy my feed there but I do get my scratch there, because of the brand's blend.

Now this feed store does a lot of business and is actually in the city. (City grew up around it.) Has been around forever and is a trusted dealer, but for me a very expensive dealer. But if I just wanted a pound or two at a time, I would buy it that way from this place and not think anything of it.

So you might look for a situation like this. But be real careful, make sure the feed is fresh and not to old and is what they say it is. I could see where there could be real problems with this idea at most feed stores.

I think this is 1 reason people end up having more than just a few birds. To use up a 25# or 50# bag of feed within 2 months. While it is still fresh.

10. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I am actually looking for some females... that will solve the problem! [​IMG]

The two boys are together for now, but since the cage is a double I'd like to separate each boy and give them each a girl or two of their own.

Here is a pic of their new home I made for them today!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by