Still confused about quarantining new birds.

Rockridge Chicks

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Kingston, Ont
Hi everybody,

I have gone over numerous post about introducing new birds into an existing flock. I cannot seem to find a concrete answer... Sorry if this is a repeat question.:|

My question is, quarantining...

I will be adopting a few birds this weekend who are 10 weeks older than my chicks (3.5 weeks)

I know I need to quarantine them for 1 month before i introduce them into the same space, but this is where my confusion sets in.

*1~ Do I need to keep them in a completely seperate building from my existing coop?

*2~ Or can I simply keep them in a seperate area of my coop? (fenced off so they don't intermingle.)?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks a bunch!
Megan

sorry i don't know the answer to your question. for me, i just bought 5 new chickens (17 week olds) and they are in the same pen with my other chickens who are 19 weeks old. but my new ones came from a hatchery and were vaccinated and all, so i was not concerned about disease.

hopefully someone will know, there's a lot of experts here!
smile.png

Megan, they should not share the same airspace because some diseases are airborne, as in coughing and sneezing, etc. I put my newly purchased rooster in a dog kennel in the bsmt bathroom while I went over things about him and fed him proper feed and observed his health. He did not breathe the same air as my flock for over a month.

I can't comment on the vaccination-what were they vaccinated for exactly? That makes a difference. None of my birds has ever been vaccinated so I have no experience with it.

they should not share the same airspace because some diseases are airborne, as in coughing and sneezing, etc. I put my newly purchased rooster in a dog kennel in the bsmt bathroom while I went over things about him and fed him proper feed and observed his health. He did not breathe the same air as my flock for over a month.

Thank you! That is what I really wanted to know!

It's OHChick that has vaccinated birds. But I would like to know more about this too!

My chicks were vaccinated prior to shipping @ a d/o maybe that is what OHChick is talking about?​

I knew she was the one that asked. I just answered you both in the same post. OHchick, even though your chicks were vaccinated, probably against either Mareks or Cocci, there are SO many more diseases they can get. Day-olds cannot be vaccinated against some of those things. Please dont get a false sense of security just because they've had a vaccine against one or two diseases.

lau.gif
Sorry Speckedhen!!
lau.gif

Again thanks!

My chicks were vaccinated for mereks and cocci.

I'll keep my new additions well away from my babes.

D.gif
Cheers!

Now I have to go and build another inclosure....

If I had only got all the chicks I wanted at the same time... Sigh...

I'm getting 1 Black Langshan (young)roo & PBR pullets. The lady I'm gettin my newbies from also has a White Cochin roo. I'm so very tempted to get him too.
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom