1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Still confused!!! Boys or girls or a BO??? UPDATE PG 2

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JakRat, Aug 8, 2011.

1. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Here is Nugget. I thought she was a girl Buff Orpington, but I am not so sure now because of her barred coloring and her now super pinky red comb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now here is my Maran

She is not light colored, but look at that comb!

[​IMG]

Any thoughts??

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    How old are they? The BO looks like a rooster but the BR is hard to tell.

3. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    my maran is about 2 months maybe and the BO is maybe 6? I could be off by a bit as the person I bought them from was not to reliable.

4. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I already have one surprise roo, I dont think I can have another one... Nugget is really sweet and not insane or does feather flaps like some of the other girls. Maybe they are roosters too!!

5. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    i'm not sure your ages are correct, that BO looks no older than 6 weeks with that baby fluff! at six months you'd have eggs already and s/he's have a big bright comb. if th marans has all her feathers in i'd say pullet, if not possibly roo, hard to tell without a pic of his/her full body. the BO i'm thinking cockerel but again it's hard to tell without a better pic. i'm leaning toward cockerel tho [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Can you get better body shots of both??? And is the BO 6 WEEKS???

7. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Doh! I meant to put six weeks. She has most of her feathers, a few fluffy ones still on her body under her wings. Nugget has some fluff too. Both their combs have gotten red over the past few days. I was not sure if the spot on nuggets back where it is still fluffy between its tail and wings is where the saddle feathers are waiting to come in... SIGH!!!! my Maran was not in the mood to take pictures.

8. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    [​IMG]

Maran on the right.

Nugget in the middle... I will try to get some better pictures... nugget no problem... he she loves the camera... my maran not so much.

9. OkieKristi

OkieKristi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    N.E. Oklahoma
    I think that is a lot of comb for a six-week old BO, so I guess roo. On the Maran, my little cockerel had a lot more comb even at 2 mos, but those appear to be some really big legs in the last picture, so I say it may possible be a roo as well.

I was given 4 new 1-mo old pullets a couple of mos ago, and at least 3 of them are cockerels. My BR cockerel at 3 months is the sweetest chicken I have ever had. Follows me around everywhere begging for treats, and all three of the boys let my daughter hold them. The least friendly of the four is the one who I think is girl. Maybe young cockerels are just more friendly.

10. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    The marans I think are massive birds in general. I am just so confused with the combs and the legs and the colors and the feathers and behaviors! Oh well if I have to get rid of them at least I enjoyed them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by