Still don't know, Hens or Roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SEHchicks, Aug 20, 2014.

1. SEHchicks

SEHchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2014
    San Marcos, CA
    Hi,

Our chicks turned 3 months old yesterday and even though we thought we were pretty sure all 4 are hens, a trip to the Country Store where we got them from made me doubt it again, so, here are some pictures and we would love to hear your thoughts. Especially our proud Australorp, her tail is quite high... for some reason I couldn't get the pictures uploaded. Though I will try again

Thanks!

2. SEHchicks

Jun 3, 2014
    San Marcos, CA
    Sorry, still won't load, almost look like an issue with this site? Here's the error message -
    • Aug2014Chicks3.JPG - Error, param staticContentPath is not a directory! [/var/www/html/static.backyardchickens.com/pub//imgrepo]

3. HSSchicks

HSSchicks New Egg

Aug 20, 2014
    Maybe look on the internet for pics of a rooster and hen chicks! I think if it were a roo you would know. Maybe check their combs and wattles and how much noise they make!

4. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Can you describe the questionable one? Besides the tail being high. I have two young australorps and they both have quite high tails (super pretty) Near the tail do the feathers come to a point and almost point down? (sign of roo) or are they rounded (pullet?) What do the comb and wattle look like? Is it pretty red or still kind of pale?

1 person likes this.
  5. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    When the pictures can be posted again I'll show you what my girls look like at 12 weeks and now...I think 17 weeks.

6. SEHchicks

Jun 3, 2014
    San Marcos, CA
    Thanks for your notes - and yes, our australorp has high tail with rounded ends that don't turn down, so I hope that's a good sign :) Her comb are barely developing still but there are times they are redder, most of the time still quite pale. Hope we will be able to post pictures soon again.

Thanks again!

7. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I think so far that sounds like a good sign :)

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Whenever you can post a photo, I'd be happy to help sex your birds. Unfortunately, I think there is some sort of site wide photo posting problem going on right now.

1 person likes this.
  9. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]
    Here's Omelet and Scramble at 12 weeks
    [​IMG]
    And here they are at about 17 weeks.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013