Still "flipping" at 5 weeks cornish rock cross

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by maf2008, Dec 7, 2009.

1. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    OK I bought the Hubbard strain of the cornish x and from Ideal.... I do not keep the food from them at night as they are in the pen with the other egg chicks that get feed 24 x 7... sooooooo I am still having one so "flip" full crop, just drop dead about one per week.

When I had the "cornish broiler" from Meyers (or Mcmurrays I forget) I did not have the problem. These grow slower.

I do not want to seperate the meat birds, for if I withhold feed, (I have tried before) they will start eating each other or the egg chicks.

So how can anyone "tractor" chickens 24 x 7 feed/grass and they not flip? I am sure that this is not a result of preaditors or desease.

Should I just start breeding RIR/Cornish/White Rock "meat mutts" which grow slower but still get to 9/10 lbs..... Please advise. I like the cornish cross, Or maybe back to Meyers? Central or Welp? who has the best success and where do you get your cornish x?????

2. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Do you leave lights on all night? If so, try turning them off, and let them sleep at night, instead of staying up to eat. I found when I raised CX's, that letting it be dark at night was enough to slow them down so they didn't eat themselves to death. Otherwise, if you had better luck with the other hatchery's chicks, why not just go back to those?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  3. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Maf-

Slow the growth down a little bit, if you can't do it by turning off the lights or taking feed away... feed them a 16 % chick grower. They will do just fine and the flip should stop.

4. maf2008

Feb 19, 2009
    They are in a 3 sided barn/coop and have heat lights at night, I bet they do sit up and eat! I lost a 4 pounder today. I'll give that a try, BTW what breed or strain or where do your get your cornish? thanks
    Quote:

5. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I use Moyers in PA.... I also use Meyers when they run specials.

www.moyerschicks.com

Ya def lower the protein... plus you can save yourself some extra money.

6. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, I've never had any problems with meaties eating one another. On another note though, problems such as birds dying are random, and can't really be accurately predicted. Just because you get one batch from one hatchery that does well, and another batch from another hatchery does poorly, you really can't say it was the hatchery, as there are so many possible variables, especially with small batches. You may have gotten a bad batch of birds, something might be slightly different, such as the weather- you can't say for sure. I'd just hope for better luck next time. I always get my birds from Townline Hatchery because it's close to me.

7. maf2008

Feb 19, 2009
    Nope, What I mean is that.......when ONE FLIPS I find it half eaten the next morning They do not eat each other up ......
    (not yet anyway)! But I think this is the weather even with warm lights and coverered area, have lost more than normal. I will do a HUGE batch in the spring, if no better luck, I will breed my own "meat mix" of broilers/ cornish/cornish cross/ white rock and red broilers. I will have a "who know's what, but I bet most of the roosters will be about 10 lbs! I really like the cornish cross better though.. more white breast meat. OR I will just get the JM hatchery colored rangers and put them in the breeder pen too.

But "chicken" tastes like "chicken" not matter the breed to me... thanks

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by