Still Flooding, they are going to lose the battle

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Frosty, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Minot ND has been battling the Souris river since at least mid April. They have built dikes, raised the dikes, and built secondary dikes. They evacuated on June 1st, then later were allowed back because the dikes worked and the crest passed. But now because of some severe rain storms in Canada, our neighbors to the north have to release water from three dams up there. The dams are at capacity, they have no choice. There is water coming down the river at 27,000 cubic feet per second. That may not sound like much, especially compared to rivers like the Missouri and Missippi, but this is a small river that normally has flows more in the 100 cfs range. It will be slowed somewhat by a dam north of the town, but they are still expecting 17,000 cfs going through the town. That will top the dikes and flood the town. They are evacuating again, the people have to be out of there by 6 PM tomorrow. The historic flood of '69 is the one people still talk about, it was bad. They are anticipating the water levels from this one to be at least 7 feet higher.

I am not in an area close to this river, I just have a lot of water in the yard from rain and cool temps but I would like to ask folks to take a minute and send prayers and/or warm wishes for the folks of Minot and all of the others battling floods, fires and other disasters. I know they are tired and probably pretty darn discouraged.

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Prayers on the way!

3. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Got your wish! Sendin down prayers.

4. Jane Jill Jack

Jane Jill Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    I'm sending prayers!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  5. Frosty

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
  6. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    So sorry for your area's trials and tribulations. We are at the other end of the spectrum, with historic droughts and over a million acres burned.

7. Frosty

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Quote:I really wish we could send you some water!

The water breached the primary dike yesterday, they were expecting 11,000 cfs originally. That was bumped up to 12,000 cfs, then 17,000. Today they got word that there will be 29,000 cfs, about twice the water there was in the historic flood of '69. Things just keep getting worse. And today was hot and sunny, which was great for drying up some of the water in my yard but it raises concern about all of the water vapor in the atmosphere creating thunderstorms which these folks DON'T need right now.

Josh Duhamel is from Minot, and called the news station from Moscow to thank them for their coverage and say that he was going to get some event together to raise money for his hometown.

It has been so moving to watch these folks pull together. Their secondary dikes are going to fail, as a last ditch efforort they are building a dike to try to keep the north end of town from getting cut off from the south end (which is where all of the grocery stores are). At least a quarter of the population has had to leave their homes. Due to the oil boom and an good economy up here, housing is in high demand, there was a shortage of housing before this started. They had a conference and at this point FEMA said they have no plans to provide trailers for the folks losing their homes. Right now this is on track to be the worst flood in history. If it would have been equal to the flood of '69, the dikes that were built would have kept it contained. Due to an already saturated ground and the fact that there was already so much water heading this way, the increased releases in Canada are moving much faster than anticipated.

I am in awe of the folks in this comunity, and so proud of them!

8. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    We have been keeping up with this, and we have been praying. It's such a strange year.

9. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    we've had 66 days of non stop rain... it's been a crazy year everywhere for the weather.... hope some how some of that water gets diverted.

10. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    And here we have had 20 days of 90plus degree weather before it rained. And we are not in the dryest part of the country.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by