1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

still flying out!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by aelizabeth, May 16, 2010.

1. aelizabeth

aelizabeth In the Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    Southeast GA
    I have a dozen 13 week old chickens and I've clipped their wings but they're still flying out of the 6 foot fence. any ideas on what I can do to stop this?

2. emrys

emrys Songster

Sep 3, 2009
    Not that it will help you today, but I found that my flying Sussex started sticking to the ground at about 5 months. Even with clipped wings they were over their fence much to the pleasure of the Welsh terrorist. Now the only flying they do is into and out of thier coop. If you attach some sort of inward facing wire to the top of the existing fence, like the security top you see around military facilities that might foil them. Good luck

3. farmboydj

farmboydj Songster

May 18, 2009
    puyallup wa
    did you clip both sides? if so then that is whats wrong you only clip one side to throw them off balance

4. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Songster

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Add some floppy fencing to the top (8-12 inches should do it) and have it flopping inward , as emrys has said. If it's floppy enough they will pull it downward when they try to get a foot hold on their way over. What breed of chickens are they? My RIR's and my New Hamp reds (almost a year old) are the only ones that still fly over the fence but the good thing is that they also know how to fly back over when they are ready.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: