Still fresh?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TommyVT05, Feb 13, 2008.

1. TommyVT05

TommyVT05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Hi everybody,

I was just curious. My hen laid eggs since the 30th, now its almost the 13th. I collected the eggs daily and bring them inside to stay cool. Around 40-50 in my room. I have 6 now but the hen isn't broody, waiting for ANOTHER hen to do the incubation for me. The other hen laid 10 eggs already and still going...anybody know how long I can keep the 6 eggs fresh in time until the other hen starts to sit?

I hope she stops @ 12 so I can ease my mind because these 6 eggs are precious to me and I don't have an incubator [​IMG].

2. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Tommy the eggs lose viablity the older they get. How do you know your hen will go broody? You might want to get someone with a bator to hatch them for you if they are important. You are pushing it at two weeks old.

3. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    I know but I live in San Diego, like, no one here has chickens but me. Lol. Sucks...[​IMG] I hope they can last just 1 more week???

4. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    hey tommy, you aren't making the trek up to fresno on the 23rd are you?

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I am not claiming to know what i am talking about BUT being a female, i am probably right (as stated in another post i just read). So anyway, i wanted a hen to go broody...so i left the eggs i want hatched in the coop in the nest and as soon as they see the eggs pile up even just a little, they sit on them. It had worked twice now and the 2nd are due about 2/24. I candled last night and it looks as if almost all are with chickie.
    You said you collected the eggs everyday, but i think it pushed a typical broodyish hen into thinking broody if she has the pile of eggs. I was assuming she does not because you said you had them in your room. So good luck

6. TommyVT05

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Lurky...

Ohhh...Iseee, so lEAVE THE EGGS! Got it! I will put them back...hope that helps??? [​IMG] Lol

Well about Fresno on the 23rd...whats that for?

7. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:like i said Tommy, I am no expert, but mine see the eggs and turn into a crazy broody immediately.
    I hope it helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by