Still Girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by anbhean, Jun 28, 2010.

1. anbhean

anbhean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2010
    Colorado
    Darn it, just when I thought I was safe from having a roo in my trio, I realized that I had over estimated how old my pullets were. I thought they were roughly 18 weeks this week. Turns out they are only 15. Oops. No one has crowed yet. But I still am watching my Delaware, Sassafras. She has really pointy, spear shaped neck feathers, but no spear shaped saddle feathers. She's only three days older than my rocks, but has a bigger comb and wattle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any one think I'm dealing with a roo, or are they still all girls?

2. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Well, I think they look like girls! Congrats! Sassafrass is really pretty!

3. Suburban Sprouts

Suburban Sprouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They all look like girls to me... at 15 weeks I think your boys would have much more impressive combs and waddles!! [​IMG]

4. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    They look like girls to me too. With Sassafrass, because she's a Delaware her feather pattern on her neck looks pointy. If you pick up the feathers, there should be a white border around each black stripe which will be rounded for a girl. If the white looks pointy (and I mean really pointy) she could turn out to be a roo, but she looks girly so far.

5. anbhean

anbhean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2010
    Colorado
    Thanks everyone! I'll definitely check for the white border today on Sass. I was hoping the lack of crowing and the still small combs meant they were still girls, so it's nice to hear other folks think so as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by