1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Still guessing what breed....any ideas?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by scalaway, Apr 27, 2009.

1. scalaway

scalaway Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    Ohio
    Good Morning [​IMG] -- Just wondering if you might be able to help me figure out what breeds I have [​IMG] -They are all about 5-6 wks. We ordered the "rainbow layer assortment" from McMurray--I'm wondering how much of a "rainbow" we'll have-What do you think??- Here's the first:

My kiddos named this one leopard because she had such a striped face/body when she was a chick:
    [​IMG]

These one's have slate colored legs..wondering if they were hamburgs?? I was hoping they were EE's.....What do you think??
    [​IMG]

This one has me stumped...
    [​IMG]

Then there is this one [​IMG] -- the spots on this one are a lot bigger than the one above...
    [​IMG]

Thanks so much [​IMG]! I appreciate your input [​IMG]!

2. scalaway

May 6, 2008
    Ohio
    Pretty Please?? [​IMG][​IMG]

3. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The bottom pic looks like a dark cornish. It's hard to tell if it's a pea comb, but looks like it.

The one above it looks like a brown leghorn pullet.

Not sure about the first two pics.

Shelly

4. scalaway

May 6, 2008
    Ohio
    Thanks Shelley....I guess I didn't realize that leghorns had multi-colored feathers? I don't know if the picture shows it well or not, but the feathers on the one you think is a leghorn has little "spots" all over it--they're really pretty feathers [​IMG] -- I just thought leghorns were solid colored? --I'm still pretty new at all this though--we've had Red Stars forever because of the monstrous egg size [​IMG] -- We inherited a few white leghorns--which are AMAZING layers--they're like clockwork--love it!! I ordered this "assortment" hoping for some different breeds---but man, it's killing me trying to figure out what they heck they are [​IMG]!! My hubby and I scan the McMurray catalog every night trying to guess [​IMG] --

BTW..the other does have a pea comb---Most of them do -- In the pictures I posted, the black and white one's have pea combs -if anything at all?? They aren't developing like the combs of the other chicks--the top one is taking FOREVER to feather out--still looks all dinosaur-ish [​IMG] -- Maybe that will help in identifying them [​IMG] --Thanks for your input [​IMG]!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  5. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
  6. scalaway

May 6, 2008
    Ohio
    Mine looks a lot like yours [​IMG] -- We've got three of them--they're really pretty---I want to know what we have, but it doesn't really matter [​IMG] --After raising them from little peeps, there's no way I'd get rid of any of them!

7. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

The brown one may be a partridge rock

8. scalaway

May 6, 2008
    Ohio
    I don't know if it'll help or not with ID'ing my babies, but the last picture (black w/ brown/red spots) has the longest wing feathers! They're MUCH longer than the other birds--really pretty!!

9. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    my opinions.... [​IMG]

picture 1 - I'm not sure what your leopard one is. It looks like it has leg feathering. The white and black behind it look like Columbian Wyandottes.

picture 2 looks like Silver Spangled Hamburg

picture 3 looks like Partridge Plymouth Rock

10. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The leghorns are supposed to be really great layers, so you should be happy. Mine was a little skittish, but when you caught her, she would settle right down. I think it was just the idea of being caught! LOL!

Here is a link to a pic of my dark cornish when she was about your chick's age.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=59857

She has ended up being the friendliest chicken! She loves to just snuggle down in my arms and fall asleep! [​IMG] Definitely a lap chicken. [​IMG] And she layed all through the winter. I consistently get 6 eggs a week from her. [​IMG]

I went and looked, and the black and white could definitely be Hamburgs. They have slate legs like yours do.

I am not sure on the first one with the feathered legs. I thought maybe some kind of Maran, but I am not sure on that one at all. It's a definite possibility.

I think you've got a great selection there, but I didn't see any EE. [​IMG]

Shelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by