Still has blood clots, still at home! Update post#16

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by gritsar, Sep 15, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's been 6 months since DH broke his leg at work. The city hospital messed up by wrapping the leg too tightly, resulting in a ton of blood clots in his leg, which then resulted in him developing pulmonary embolisms and having to have heart surgery. He is on two different blood thinners to resolve the blood clots.
    This morning he went for his (now) monthly doppler exam of his leg. Not only are the blood clots only 50% resolved, but the exam picked up swelling in the lymph nodes in his groin. [​IMG]
    Six months he's been home on workmans comp. and it's not over yet. [​IMG]
    One of us is going to go stark raving mad before this is over. I'm just not sure which one. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    He will. He is the one that is forced to be inactive. That is not easy for some people and he seems to be one of those. I know you have your own issues, but you have the chickens.

3. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Oh Kat [​IMG] ...hang in there. I understand and empathize with you. [​IMG] All that worry, fear, frustration, and weariness definitely takes a toll on a husband and wife. You're in my thoughts...and I sure wish both you and your hubby a complete recovery. [​IMG]

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Hugs for both of you!

5. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    So sorry you are both going through this! [​IMG] I am sending you healing vibes for a faster recovery. [​IMG]

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] Oh no, another hospital goof off! I hope they are paying for this!

Hope your hubby will get well FAST and just hang in there! He didn't ask for it either.

7. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I know that it's slow going, but I am glad that he is recovering. What a journey for you 2. [​IMG]

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Previously DuckLady! Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    My husband had a ski accident at work in Feb 2009. They got around to approving his knee surgery in Feb 2010 and his wrist reconstruction in July 2010. Plus they refused to transfer his case near us, so they pay mileage and hotel for a nearly 900 mile round trip each month for him to see his doctor.

Talk about a waste of money!

9. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

That is crazy!!! So sorry to hear about this, I sort of watch your posts because I just love your interesting stories, and the funny GS's stories. Have you talked to a lawyer? I am NOT sue happy, so don't anyone get their BVD's in a knot because I am suggesting this, but the thing is. . . .this may affect your DH's lifestyle for the rest of his life. . .he may never be able to work in the same capacity that he did before the accident, and someone needs to be accountable. Someone at that hospital goofed and you need to take exception to it.

I will say an extra prayer for you and him, did they try the net surgery but probably had too many. . .so sorry to hear this!!! I will warn you, if this doesn't get cleared up and he has to go out on disability, YOU will be the one to go ga-ga!!!! The first year my DH went out on disability was a nightmare. We had been married 36 years and it was just miserable being together 24/7. Good luck!!

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm not sue happy either but both myself and DSD have tried to talk DH into contacting a lawyer, but he's against it. We have pictures taken of his leg three days after he broke it. It was black from mid-calf down. That was bad enough but then the heart hospital completely missed the blood clots; saying his shortness of breath was caused by a pneumonia. It wasn't until 10 days after the blood clots started that he finally saw an orthopedist who immediately sent him for a scan of his leg and hospitalized him (4th hospital in 14 days) for them.
    Terrie, I agree with you that workmans comp. is a nightmare.
    This whole thing has changed so much of our lives. I just want my husband to feel like himself again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by