Still have a mink problem

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by critters, Jan 5, 2015.

1. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    It's been 3-4 weeks and I still have a mink problem. Since his initial slaughter of way too many guinea in one night I have set up several steel traps and he springs them sometime but I can't catch him. I have put a caged rooster in the barn where he made his previous kills and he returns 4 out of 5 nights avoiding springing the traps. What else can I do to get this guy?? I've put poison laced nuts out... Nothing... Any ideas???

2. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    edited.... I just realized how stupid that question was.

Try a live trap instead of the jawed type.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    May be try fresh fish as bait. and cover the traps with compost or straw or something similar. wash the traps and put disposable gloves when you are setting the traps
    If you can put poison in fresh fish you will have a better chance

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Mink can be tricky to trap - even for experienced trappers. I would strongly discourage the use of poison. There is too much chance of killing an unintended target.

1 person likes this.
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Get a couple of live traps and put them in proximity to the rooster so that they have to enter the box traps to try to get at the rooster.

6. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    mink like to check out tunnels . A 110 conibear at each end of a pipe or box tunnel with bait in the middle of tunnel . Check out utube videos on mink trapping .

7. acl68025

acl68025 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    Nebraska
    [​IMG]
    Per my husbands advice: a 6-8 inch round section of PVC pipe, use fresh fish or chicken inside for bait, 110 conabare trap at each end. He said he's caught many mink this way. He's looking for a picture of the set up as we speak

8. acl68025

acl68025 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    Nebraska
    [​IMG]. This picture uses a coffee can, but it's the same idea. Hope this helps

9. patvetzal

patvetzal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Bancroft, Ontario
    Or just build a "trap box" out of some six inch wide boards or plywood...if using Conibear traps I wouldn't even worry about washing them in the coop. There is enough of your scent around anyway.

10. Cold Canadian

Cold Canadian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acl68025 [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Per my husbands advice: a 6-8 inch round section of PVC pipe, use fresh fish or chicken inside for bait, 110 conabare trap at each end. He said he's caught many mink this way. He's looking for a picture of the set up as we speak

If I can add to this .......put the trap . tube in a area of interest for the critter , plus I use sardines out of a can . I will say it looks a bit big for a weasel ?? a pine martin maybe ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by