still have baby chicks(12 weeks) in the brooder in the house(is it ok)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by backdoorchicken, Jul 24, 2010.

1. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    i am worried about putting them outside in the heat. it has been in the 90˚-100˚ range the last month or so and no relief in sight. how long is too long?

fyi: they are silkies. 2 black 1 white.

2. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Songster

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Give them a place with a mixture of sun and shade outside with a shaded place full of dirt. They will be fine. I have a 2 month old and 3 month old outside with 90 degree temps, and they're fine. They take baths in dirt to keep cool, all else you have to do is make sure they always have plenty of food and water.

3. MarieNC

MarieNC Songster

May 10, 2010
    I was worried about the same thing as you. My three month old girls just went into the coop/run four days ago after having been in the AC since they were two days old, and it's been at least 100 degrees here every day since then. Their run and coop have a great deal of shade, as it's in a clearing in the woods amongst tall trees. I run a fan out in the run but they don't seem to spend too much time in front of it. I give them frozen water bottles and ice cubes in their drinking water, frozen grapes and watermelon. They have dirt to bathe in and they have dug up the sand down to where it's damp and they lay in that. I run a fan up in the rafters to circulate the air inside the coop at night. So far they have done just fine!

4. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    well we are almost done with the new coop. it will have an exhaust fan and plenty of room. the current one that houses our 5 adult hens is hot and small. no way would i put the new chickens out there now. right now at 9:04pm it is 98˚ in it.

5. Doodle_Doo

Doodle_Doo Songster

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri City, TX
    they should be fine [​IMG] here in houston its been hot not below 88 for about 2 months now and mine have been outside
    since 3 weeks old..i have 4 red shoulder yokohamas,2 saipan jungle fowl,1 black sumatra and 2 lac roundhead chicks now 7
    weeks old and they ra ehappy outside..i have them in a roofed encloseure with brick cool cement walk stone to keep cool inthe shade
    as long as they are out of the sun its fine with also water available in a shady area

6. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    WTKR NewsChannel 3 ALL-TIME RECORD high tied today
    Today's high was 105 degrees, which ties the all time record high temperature set in August of 1918. - Meteorologist Vanessa Murdock​

7. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    Quote:Agreed [​IMG]

8. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    my sweat is sweating

9. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:X2 AND the AC is out in my car!!!!!!!!!!!

10. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by