Still Have Diarrhea... (pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by countyroad1330, Nov 17, 2007.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    My chickens have had diarrhea for about two weeks now. I gave them antiobiotic and wormer the first week. Their overall condition has become excellent! But they've still got bad poo [​IMG] Here's a couple pictures of it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas what's causing it? Could it be over-feeding??

Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  2. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I've had chickens for almost 5 years now and from time to time they have the same diarrhea as your pictures. I wouldn't worry too much if they are healthy otherwise. Maybe some cooked oatmeal would clear it up. That's what I do.
    If you do see blood in the poop, then that's another problem altogether. Young chickens/chicks can get cocci, an organism that could kill them if not treated.

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Looks like blood in the first one is it?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If there is blood in the first one, you need to treat for cocci.

If not, the brown poo in the second one is perfectly natural. It is their cecal poo and they drop a few each day. I like to call it melted chocolate poo.

No need to worry so much if the birds are acting healthy without blood or worms. Their poo will vary, especially if let's say they got into berries or something... purple gooey poo everywhere!

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

You could also cook up some rice for them...
    the caramel coloured Splort is perfectly normal...
    Even the purple Splort in the top pic can be normal if they've eaten Inkberry.

6. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    Few! Thanks so much everyone, I was getting pretty worried. I don't feel like such a bad chicken mama now *ha* There is red in the top photo, but I don't think it looks like blood.

I might try the cooked oatmeal. Do they actually like eating it?

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Mine eat my son's left overs...They like the flavours rather than plain, but they'll eat it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by