Still having hard time with sick chickens.........Pics added

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jacca5, May 6, 2009.

1. jacca5

jacca5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Hodgenville, KY
    I posted here a few weeks ago about some sick chickens and everyone thought it to be CRD. I have gotten them well so far. However I have another I am needing help with. She is a chicken that we have had for a awhile but now she is sick. She doesn't at all have the same symptoms. She smells BAD, it seems like she oozing from under her wings, and her eyes and nose are running. Could it be from lice or mites cause she does have one or the other? Any help that you can give would be great. I am thinking about using tylan on her let me know if that is a good idea.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!
    Amanda

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I know that birds affected with coryza have discharge and a foul smell. but they also have facial swelling. Read up on this disease and see if this seems to be what's going on. Good luck.

3. jacca5

Mar 19, 2008
    Hodgenville, KY
    oh I forgot I have pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

can you enlarge the other 2 pics so they're easier to see?

doesnt look like lice on her face/eyes... that looks like something different all together. on her wings/backside - if it were lice you'd see them. Do you see anything attached to her skin or at the feather shafts? Clumps of white eggs anywhere?

Hopefully you can enlarge the pictures and someone will be able to help you further.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  5. jacca5

Mar 19, 2008
    Hodgenville, KY
    OK this may be too big but it took me forever to figure out how to enlarge it and this is the best I can do!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    the pictures are not detectable and if the mites are on her she would have some discharge from the mites as it is sometimes off white build up
    or can be black
    try dusting her with seven5% and puting some olive oil on first then the seven powder
    to smother the mites and kill them and heal the sores it leaves
    also it is cleaning time for the building

this should be done twice a day and if one can lock the bird up so it can be treated liberally

It will take 6 weeks to kill the mites and one needs to clean where the mites live
    basically the oil treatment is best as the oil smothers the mites and heals the sore legs

CLEAN THE CHICKEN HOUSE AND

then you need to get the mites where they live
    take a gallon can and put 1 pt of cooking oil and 1 pint of keroseen and paint the roost poles
    and all the cracks in the wood of the building
    especially the knot holes if any are in the wood
    these areas are where the mites live and breed
    when not sucking the blood out of the chicken an making sores on its legs ( eventually the mites make a white type offal build up on the scaley leg)

then I would clean out the beding and start fresh by putting
    a good layer of sevin 5% on the bare floor now put the new bedding back in the building

this will get rid of the mites and any lice living in the building
    always do this so you can leave a window cracked that night
    so fumes will escape

besure to feed the birds affected the
    natural probiotic wet mash
    each bird
    3 tbsp of dry crumbles
    6 tbsp of milk any kind
    1 tbsp of yoguart
    mix and feed twie a day till the bird is healed then once a week for life

7. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Read up on Infectious Coryza and see if the symptoms match. If you contact your State Vet they will often come out and test for free or a small fee, depending on your state. I hear the stench is terrible, like a dead animal.

For mites - I dust my bird all over with Sevin5. Do all the birds even if you don't see any mites on the others. I put the bird in a Rubbermaid tote and shake the can all over them lifting the feathers and rubbing it in their skin. The tote keeps it from getting wasted. Remove all the bedding in the coop, feed, waterer and all the chickens and use a pesticide spray (mine is safe for animals once it's dry) paying special attention to the roosts and nests. When dry, shake Sevin5 on the floor then new shavings.

Hope things get better soon!

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

what kind of pesticide spray (anything in particular) do you use for mites? I just lost a sweet little bantam cochin frizzle roo and have a silkie roo inside the house right now that I'm treating for a respiratory issue, but have discovered tiny (smaller than the head of a pin, like the nymph /larval stage ticks that are smaller than a grain of sand) mites on him. I bathed him with flea/tick soap and sprayed him with Adams flea/tick mist. I've got the 10% Sevin dust -- is it too strong? Is the Eprinex pour on good for killing mites as well as worms? Just found out someone has worms (definitely -- saw them in a fresh poo pile while I was trying to figure out what happened to Bob) so they'll all be getting a dose of it tonight. (except for the silkie roo; I'm afraid he's still too weak to handle it -- he's not even standing up. I'm propping him up in a cat bed "cuddle cup" type with towels around him and paper toweling under him for his wastes. I think he's almost starting to enjoy those warm baths... [​IMG] ) suggestions?

ETA: I've been using hay on the floor since the last "shavings" I got were more like sawdust and made an awful mess when I tried to put them out into the run. [​IMG] Do the shavings keep mites down better than hay, or does the floor covering make any difference?

ETA again: sorry; just realized I'm sort of hijacking this thread. I was asking Glenda Heywood or southernbelle about their experience w/ mites...

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Adams flea/tick mist is a good treatment for mites, though it must be repeated to kill the eggs when they hatch in about 2 weeks. Be careful with flea soaps from Hartz or Sergeant's; people have noted some serious problems with these here. Adams and Sevin are fine for mites. Some put the chicken in a plastic bag, not covering the head of course, then dust inside the bag. There is a wormer that also works on mites -- maybe Ivermectin? Not sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by