Still having troubles with soft eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dlynne1123, Jul 12, 2011.

1. dlynne1123

dlynne1123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    I've mixed pellets in with the chick crumbles, added crushed egg shells and oyster shells to a separate feeder for the 24 weeker. Is she just being a poop head and eating crumbles instead of her pellets? Or should I be worried? Any other suggestions? My only real worry is for weeks now shes laid perfect hard eggs, even a couple giant two yolkers! And now a week straight of just messy nest boxes. If this is part of her maturing, when should I see a change back to hard eggs again? If its nutrition based, how long before I see changes?

Thanks!

Shes acting happy, healthy and digging and foraging like usual. I only give a vegetable once in a blue moon.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I'm not sure what the problem is. I get an egg w/out a shell from time to time but never like what you seem to be seeing. She could be just eating the crumbles, but it sounds like her egg machine is out of adjustment. Could it be the heat?

3. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    I was thinking the same about the heat being the problem. That is probably the only major change in the situation. The feed should not have that kind of effect if you are supplementing with oyster shell and crushed egg shell. Crumbles are just crumbled pellets, and if the feed is basically the same type, then it must not be that.

4. dlynne1123

Jun 6, 2011
    Thanks guys that is true. The only real change is the heat in Maine. And now she isnot laying at all or the others are eating the pieces. So I'll cop it to the heat. We've had 90 degree tsp at our house since before the 4th! And this is a red star so maybe more heat sensitive?

Thanks again! I'm gonna get some adfitional layer crumbles next time, instead if pellets. Just figured the chicks wouldn't eat the pellets so it would be safe! I'll keep their food separate for now to see who's eating what.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Are you sure that it is soft eggs and not a egg eater making a mess in the nest box?

Chris

6. dlynne1123

Jun 6, 2011
    Yes, last week I pulled 3 gooey eggs with an unformed shell out of the nesting boxes. There was a shell but it was more like soft cardboard than a shell...yolk looked fine!

7. dlynne1123

Jun 6, 2011
    Yay! The first day of a temperature lower than 80 degrees and we have a fairly solid egg! Whitish rather than brown, so not completely formed, but solid enough to collect without breaking.....whew! She doesn't like hot weather!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by