Still having wet diarrhea... day 6...so skinny...HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladrholman, Sep 18, 2011.

1. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    My 1.5 year old roo seems to be off. I picked him up yesterday and he felt skinny. He is not very big anyway. He is a silkie. He is also the second of 2 roos. I noted a bit of stool on his bottom. I took him into the house to clean this up and after offered him some food. He ate voraciously. I was concerned that maybe he was not getting the chance to get to the food with my other roo chasing him away. I put him in my isolation cage and he ate lots. I happened to notice that when he had to poop he appeared to be straining. This morning he had pooped lots of wet looking stool.Normal color, just wetter. He was still eating and drinking but would also get quiet and close the eyes. I kept an eye on him all day. At times He was quiet and sleeping and other times he was crowing at the hens going buy and preening. I have some water with vits an yogurt as well as the pellets. He perches in the cage but I am concerned. I have had a bad run this last 2 months and Sara ( was supposed to be a hen!) has a special place in our hearts. Any thoughts?? Could he be constipated but still getting small amounts of wet stool by a blockage or something??? THANKS

UPDATE:
    HI. Sara is still having diarrhea. He is still eating and drinking. He had been treated for worms and is still on Amprol for cocci. I have not seen any more frank blood. I am giving him egg with yogurt, and a bit of tetracycline above his usual food. Any other thoughts???

Sept 25. Sara is still having the wet diarrhea... have not seen any cecal poops. When I picked him up today he is soooo skinny. Even though he is eating and drinking he is still losing weight. WHAT DO I DO. I will get some other wormer tomorrow. Is there something else I should be doing for him???? PLEASE HELP!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am new this year to chickens and have a mixed flock of large, small, and a few bantam chickens. Since I have silkies and a couple of polish, I have several waterers and feeders in the coop and outside. I also am in the coop many times a day observing when I clean or gather eggs, so I can make sure everyone gets their share. I think all chickens can get constipated by not getting enough to drink, or by a difference in food or treats.

3. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    I do know that yes chickens can get constipated, but you said he was pooping but it was wet. If there is any solid material in (fecal matter, grass bits, poop) I would assume that it not what is going on. If he had a blockage he would be kind of oozing poop water out of his behind. Gross, but the best way I can think to describe it. Are worms a possibility?

4. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    He is certainly still pooping, but as I said he is straining to do so. There is some wet stool left at the vent when he is done. Worms could be possible. I wormed them in the spring.... maybe it is time to do so again.

5. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    I think its time.

6. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Tis morning... Sara made the night though still looks off. Ate some yogurt when I offered it. I did note what could be some blood in the stool. He is still passing wet looking stools. Mushy instead of formed. I also know that they shed intestinal lining.... is there a way to tell the difference? Is there any harm in treating for a possible Cocci if that is not what it is... I have to run to get Amprol from the vet to treat as I gave my bottle to a friend in the early summer. Should I treat them all? And how long after treating can I treat for worms? and how long after treating can I use the eggs again??

7. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Adding coccidia meds to their water wouldn't hurt, and definitely re-worm (& don't forget the follow up deworming 10 days later). What exactly did you deworm with? Wazine that you buy at the feed store (only thing labeled for chickens) only takes care of roundworms, nothing else. You need to deworm for many other worms (I use Safeguard/Panacur).
    Edit: I deworm and add coccidia meds to their water at the same time.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  8. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    Thanks, I have limited choices here in Canada. Piperizine is what we have available and the Amprol that I have to get at the vets. I could ask to see if they have anything that covers more. Not sure. No chicken vets around. And what is the withdrawal period? And the blood that I think I see in the stool is nothing like in the poop chart. Only small smears of reddish in the stool.

9. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Piperizine/Wazine is only for roundworms. Yes, definitely get some fenbendazole (also called Safeguard or Panacur). I get the tube used for horses and give them a pea-sized amount and then repeat 10 days later. Don't you guys have feed stores up there that sell wormers for livestock?
    Edit: Any blood in the stool is something I'd assume was coccidia. Especially if they haven't been dewormed specifically for that recently.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  10. ladrholman

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    The only wormer the feed stores sell is the piperizine. I called the vets and they are going to check with the large animal vet if they have anything available. Will go get the Amprol and hope they have something. I will write down the names you gave and see if they have that. I am hoping Sara will still drink. She would eat earlier. Is there anything else I should be giving her to help with the guts?? Make her feel better??... we have this tendency to call him a her.... He is definitely a roo, but with the name Sara!!

How do you post pick in the forum?? I have never been able to figure this out....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by