Still just getting my feet wet. Bought a tractor getting only 2 eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by infinitijeff, Aug 10, 2010.

1. infinitijeff

infinitijeff Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    Have had the tractor two weeks, came with three big hens. One looks like a Rhode Island Red and I know she's producing maybe two a time? If that's possible. The other two a creamy color with one have a red comb and the other having a pink comb. I get only two eggs a day and it happens when I see the RIR sitting on the nest. We have three nests and the two eggs are always in one of three boxes together. I only paid a $150 for the tractor and the three hens. The tractor works great and was worth the $150 byitself. I'm wondering though, that he may have known that one or two of them wasn't producing. I'm not wanting to be cruel, but one of the enjoyments I was wanting to have was to have eggs. I know from what I read, that one a day from each is abought right. I wonder if one or two are at the end of their life-cycle/laying-cycle? Maybe there is something I can do. They stay fed on a mixture of laying pellts, that smashed corn and some oyster shells. Have a 3 month old rooster growing seperately, but he's not ready for them and they aren't ecspecially wanting him around.

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    hi, the move may have been stressful for the girls, I hear that could put them off laying for awhile, it might help if you post some pics others might see something your missing.

3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Chickens don't lay two eggs a day (if I read your post correctly) so you have at least two hens producing. And chickens don't lay eggs every day. Some lay far fewer than that.
    Where did you get them from? Is it possible for you to ask them the ages of the chickens?

4. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

You probably have two of three producing -- not two eggs at a time from one chicken. Stress from moving, heat, any major change can put them off of laying eggs. Flock dynamics are important as well as eggs, so even if one is not laying all the time but she helps keep the peace there is still a value to her. (If she's not laying and she's a pain, then that's another story [​IMG])

Good luck and welcome!

5. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Hey, give 'em time to get used to the new place and people. You didn't say where you are but most of us are having a heat wave which is stressing out our flocks big time. Heat and stress can make a hen stop laying temporarily. "Have patience, Grasshopper...." (old Kung Fu movie). Enjoy them for the beautiful creatures they are. Watch them and learn their personalities. Talk to them and bring yummy treats. There's more to this chicken business than just eggs ! Most of us would rather watch our chickens than TV. Guarantee you'll learn more. Take it slow....enjoy them.

6. infinitijeff

infinitijeff Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    Thank you all for your help. I live in South Carolina, 95-100 degree temps now. Yes it's hot. Don't know how old the hens are. Always see the RIR purebreed beforehand on nest. One egg is always a darker color than the other (brown eggs). Getting eggs are only a byproduct of the reason I got them. I do enjoy them and the wife with our 4 kids do also. The girls want come to me even with treats. I finally caught a hen one time (the RIR who lays at least one a day), held her the right way, spoke to her quietly and I thought she was going to try to kill herself or at least injure herself trying to get out of my arms so I put her back ( she was ok). The three month old rooster, I can walk him like a dog, just without the lease. LOL. Even working on a larger, more detailed tractor. Always ready to listen. Thanks again.

7. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    BY JOVE, I THINK YOU'VE GOT IT!!!!!!

Congratulations on starting your very own chicken addiction. You won't be sorry. They are more fun than TV and waaaaay better than video games!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by