Still laying 80% with Freezing Temps! WOOHOO!! :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by figaro78, Dec 6, 2011.

1. figaro78

figaro78 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Just collected 5 eggs for today (only have 6 birds total: 4 chickens & 2 ducks)... That tells me that our chickens & ducks must be happy even though they're prolly freezing their tail feathers off!! It's a whopping 29 degrees outside here in OKlahoma, when you figure wind chill, it's like 21... Brrr... [​IMG]

2. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Wow give those girls some extra treats!! [​IMG]

3. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    I've been getting the same number of eggs for the last few months.....and it was 17 degrees when I left for work this morning [​IMG] Mine are all still pullets though [​IMG]

4. Delilah1337

Delilah1337 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Spirit Lake, Idaho
    Im getting 7 a day from my 7 girls, I do add some extra heat in the coop. I cant stand the thought of my little babies shivering their little tails off, even though they are locked up in the draft-free coop

5. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Ours haven't dropped off either...it's been freezing cold here!! We have a open air coop...weather doesn't seem to bug them one bit! They are "pasture" raised (we have them in a one acre fenced in area), so they have plenty of places to gain shelter (barns, etc) and only go to the coop for water, food, and to lay eggs! I think chickens are tougher than we think they are!!!! I'm THRILLED that they are still laying!! I did up their feed a bit and I'm considering adding in some crushed corn for some extra calories as the weather drops...but I think they do pretty good job of taking care of themselves!! [​IMG]

6. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Great Job, Girls! Are you giving them heat or light? (Are you sure they didn't sneak over here and steal the eggs that my 8 month olds haven't been laying???) [​IMG]
    Quote:

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Mine stopped being so productive [​IMG] And it is much warmer right now here! Today it was 50, and not one egg! I have 3 that have laid within the last month, one that is at the end of a moult and 12 that are almost at the perfect age to start laying!

One moved a golf ball today (the pullets not laying yet), so I have hopes that it's going to be soon! They are starting to get redder in the face, and will squat when I pick them up.

8. figaro78

Nov 9, 2011
    Great Job, Girls! Are you giving them heat or light? (Are you sure they didn't sneak over here and steal the eggs that my 8 month olds haven't been laying???)

@cottagechick: LOL!! Mine stay locked up in their coop, due to lack of fence & numerous dogs running loose in the 'hood. [​IMG]

Their coop has no heat in it, but it is fairly insulated & draft free. They do have a 200W red heat light that is hanging in the outside enclosure, that I only turn on for them when it is below freezing. (Helps a bit with the watering too) During the day they will stay outdoors & congregate around it, but at nite, they all get in their coop, including the ducks.

@scarlett456: They are spoiled. I give them fresh fruit/veggies at least a couple times a week!​

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  9. figaro78

Nov 9, 2011
    A wicked chicken lays deviled eggs

@BillieJo21: Never heard that before, but I LOVE it! lol!​

10. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Quote:@BillieJo21: Never heard that before, but I LOVE it! lol!

Thanks!! Laughed out loud the first time I read it somewhere....think it's hilarous!!

I am giving my girls some added light at night....it's getting dark here around 4pm...so I light around their coop so they can get a little more time out and about!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by