still laying with prolapse

SusanQ

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2017
Took in some hens from a friend and have one hen that prolapsed on Thursday ( I found an egg with some blood so am assuming it was her). Noticed it on Friday and have had her in a dog kennel in the house. Can get the prolapse in, but she pushes it right back out. She is pooping fine, but I believe her urine is coming out in liquid form.
Have soaked in epsom salt, then witch hazel, honey and or cortizone cream. A friend who has more experience than i offered to put a stitch in her, but doesn't think that is wise since she is still laying. I read on the forums that some people have done two stitches. I assume one on each side to allow egg laying? She is perky and eating and drinking well, but getting quite aggravated with being poked and not being with her friends. She just laid an egg so I am going to fix it again and hope it stays in for a bit while I go off to work in an hour or so. How long do you keep trying before giving up? She's only 18 months old so didn't want to rush into euthanasia.

Big thanks to everyone who helps out on these forums! it helped me get an idea of what to do and kept me from panicking!

You can stop them from laying temporarily by placing in a dark room or cage for 16 out of every 24 hours daily. Let her out in the daylight for 8 hours a day to eat, drink, and walk around. It can take several days to stop. Since she is close to molting age, she may stop for a longer period. If that is not a possibility, just keep trying to push the prolapse back inside when you find it out, and keep the prolapse tissue from drying out with honey or ointment. I am not experienced with stitching the vent for a prolapse, but you might find a vet (large or small animal) who could help.

You can stop them from laying temporarily by placing in a dark room or cage for 16 out of every 24 hours daily. Let her out in the daylight for 8 hours a day to eat, drink, and walk around. It can take several days to stop. Since she is close to molting age, she may stop for a longer period. If that is not a possibility, just keep trying to push the prolapse back inside when you find it out, and keep the prolapse tissue from drying out with honey or ointment. I am not experienced with stitching the vent for a prolapse, but you might find a vet (large or small animal) who could help.

I have been keeping her in the house at night and letting her out during the day, maybe six hours. the prolapse seems to be getting a little better. Not as large and easier to get back in. She is drinking alot, and still passing her urine as liquid. The bedding in the kennel is always soaked. Is this indicative of another problem?

Is she also passing some normal fecal material in her droppings? Chickens pass white uric acid crystals in a semisolid white material as kidney waste. I am not sure why she may be excreting more fluid than normal. Hopefully, her prolapse will stay in soon, but good to know that it is better.

Is she also passing some normal fecal material in her droppings? Chickens pass white uric acid crystals in a semisolid white material as kidney waste. I am not sure why she may be excreting more fluid than normal. Hopefully, her prolapse will stay in soon, but good to know that it is better.
She is pooping but the white urine part is not there. Thank you for your responses!

Back
Top Bottom