Still learning

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 1Ruffledfeather, Feb 15, 2015.

1. 1Ruffledfeather

1Ruffledfeather Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2014
    Barnhart, MO
    How long do the chicks stay in the "heated " environment before they are allowed roam?

2. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    When they are fully feathered out. At the very least 6 weeks and it may be more like 8 where you are located. It also depends on the outside weather temp. You also want to consider the predators (hawk's). New chicks are easy pickings when they are small so you want them to have some size to them. I hold off till 8-10 weeks depending on the weather.

3. 1Ruffledfeather

1Ruffledfeather Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2014
    Barnhart, MO
    Thank you for such a prompt answer

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They really don't need a heated environment. They need a warm spot. i.e. heat lamp or heat emitter.
    A mother hen doesn't heat all ambient air. She just provides a place for them to warm up periodically.
    I know it's getting quite cold here this week so indoors is good till it gets back above freezing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rule of thumb is 90-95F the first week and lower it by 5 degrees each week. But to make it simpler. Hang a heat emitter so they can warm up under it and move to cooler space when they prefer it.
    Once fully feathered, perhaps 7 weeks, they don't need anything.
    How old are your chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by