Still liquid poo...day 4 of corid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GRB73, Nov 14, 2016.

1. GRB73

GRB73 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    My 9 mo ameracauna behan having very liquid poos about 1 week ago. White with greenish solid pieces. It was suggested she had coccidea so i began treatment with corid. This will be day 4 and still no improvement. She looks puffy and is losing feathers. She keeps flapping her wings. Originally i thought this was molt because she stopped laying eggs too. Combined with the liquid poo and no improvement with the Corid i dont know what i am dealing with or what i should try next...

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

At 9 months she is to young to be moulting.......Stop all treats/scraps......Only feed Layer/grower, water and Granite grit and oyster shell in separate bowls.....If your Birds did not have Coccoid? Your treating them for no reason.........

Cheers!

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

That poo sounds nothing like cocci... so you might not be treating for the right thing. [​IMG]

Cocci poos have blood in them usually.

And molting and 9 months is very unusual and sounds more like parasites or something....

Maybe you should start fresh. A fecal float at my vet is $15 and can confirm cocci or other things. This is what I recommend for you.

Until then, a little more info to help see what's going on.... size and age of your flock, size of you coop/run, do you free range, what do you feed including treats, and what is your weather, do you supplement light?

4. GRB73

GRB73 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    No blood in poo.just very liquid, like water with solid pieces. She drinks lots of water.

We have 3 chickens, all 9 months. The run is about 70 square feet, the coop is 9 square feet. Smaller than i like but they only sleep and lay there. Run material is hay and leaves.

I free range them 1.5 hours a day during week days, all day Saturday and Sunday. We don't supplement with light. They get fresh water every day and layer feed crumbles. I provide oyster shells and grit.

I'm sure we give too many treats. A little oatmeal with sunflower seeds, occasional shreaded cheese, hardboiled egg. A small amount of meal worms or grit to lure them back to the coop. One treat per day in the morning because they are back in the coop by the time we get home from work.

Our weather has fluctuated warm/cold over the past few weeks. Typical November in Pennslvania. The abnormal poo started around the end of daylight savings time and around the time i gave them a head of cabbage to play with.

They have access to my compost bin. I read about clostridium and wonder if my chicken ate something moldy?

We checked her crop and pelvic area which seemed normal compared to the other chickens. We looked for mites last night--would we see them crawling on the chickens? Looked with a flashlight but didn't see anything.

Sorry for the long post, really appreciate the help because this is all new to me.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Like I said in my original reply.......Stop all treats/scraps.......I look for simple solutions and I strongly believe this will help.....

Cheers!

6. GRB73

GRB73 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    Worth a try. Thanks

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Can you post a picture of her poop?

-Kathy

8. GRB73

GRB73 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    [​IMG]
    This morning's poo.
    Off the Corid after 5 day treatment. We have an appointment with vet today.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Good idea!

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by