still love chickens but what is best breed for turkey? 1ST ONE!

maf2008

Songster
12 Years
Feb 19, 2009
still love chickens but what is best breed for turkey? 1ST ONE!I need experienced advise... what do I look for in turkey? one that can reproduce? size, taste? Please use full breeds names as I do not understand the initials......

I hear royal palm or burban turkey? What have you raised and how are the results. should I buy or hatch?
hu.gif

I love the sweet grass, calico and royal palms.... Smaller breed of turkey and friendly and curious.
Most commercial birds are "dumb" but these seem to have alot of smarts and are more of a pet than dinner!

Kinda depends on what you're looking for. Are you raising them strictly for meat? If you want a bird that's ready for the freezer in just a few months you'll want to look into the broad breasted whites or bronzes. If you want to breed a really great tasting bird the Midget Whites or Bourbons seem to come out on top of the tastes tests everytime. For pets that breed babies and lay eggs you can sell I personally prefer the Midgets and Bourbons so far but I haven't raised every breed yet either so that's just what I've seen so far.

Back
Top Bottom