Still Molting!

Kanthaka

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
My Delaware started her molt in October. It has been very slow. While she is not at all bare (no skin patches at all) , I am still seeing some small downy feathers in her coop. It's almost January! Shouldn't she be done by now? My other hen has been done for weeks. The only good thing is that I am making lots of feather earrings!
35036_faether_earrings.jpg

I've also been trying to get a better answer about this. My hens stopped laying at the end of July/beginning of August & we haven't had an egg since. None of them were bald or patchy..its been a VERY slow molt. I'm still seeing downy feathers in the coop despite the fact that the hens look good.

I have been advised that they may never start up again because they are high production hatchery birds & since they are almost 2, they are "old". We are currently looking at ways to process them & start with a new flock this Spring.
sad.png

I am so glad to know that its not just me . Out of 30 (or so ) hens I am currently getting 3 eggs a day. They have all gone through various stages of moulting .Even the white leghorns have stopped laying almost completely. If it were not for the fact that my silkie hatched out 2 cutie pies this week I would be acting like the Queen of Hearts!!lol(Off with their heads)

Wish I had some suggestions for you. My 4 hens are less than 1 year old and we have not seen eggs since Sept/Oct. I see feathers in the coop every day but no bare patches. They don't come out of the coop much in this colder weather. We have a light on for 12 hours but not helping. Hopefully as we get more sunlight we'll get more eggs. I am really missing my fresh eggs.

Make sure they are healthy and not infested with bugs or worms and that they are eating a good diet. Then try mixing cayenne pepper into their food until it looks rusty. It can't hurt and it might work. It helped us within about a week!
Of course, report back and let everyone know if it helped!
On the other hand, we had an EE that layed about 25 eggs her second year so not every hen will continue to lay well. It helps to keep records so you can compare production and decide who needs to be culled.

This may be the natural molting process happening over a prolonged period of time. I would let nature take its course.

Back
Top Bottom