1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Still need some help with this one!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JodyJo, Jun 14, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

still trying to identify this little one...5 toes, feathered legs...tuft on top, a polish cross? started out small like a bantam, but is now grown up...about 9 weeks old now.

2. Mrs. Cannon

Mrs. Cannon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Vandalia, IL
    [​IMG] it's so cute lookin! Maybe a polish x silkie but the polish got the best of it? I'm not sure but it looks like it's got attitude! Can't wait to hear what other say.

3. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    anybody have a guess? No?

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Hrm.. It'll be interesting to see this one develop!

At first when I looked at it, I thought it was a Polish cross, but those feet bothered the heck outta me! The feathers on his feet are fluffy, not feathery, which automatically leads to Silkie. BUT the shape and body feathering on this bird is all Cochin (Polish have an upright tail, and would need a cushion tail gene to get this little guy).

After some thinking ( yes I spent a ridiculous amount of time pondering a chicken), I had an 'AHA!' moment. I believe what you have here is a Sultan/Cochin cross. That would explain the fluffy feathering on the feet, and the body shape. The only other thing I could think of was a Silkie/Cochin cross.

Ok I'll stop rambling at you now. Bottom line is that you have an adorable bird!

5. LaneHill

LaneHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Endless Mountains PA
    I wish I knew, but I had to say ohmygosh!!! Too Cute!![​IMG]

6. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:a silkie cross would work, another one I got from this lady is a silkie...blackish...my EE's I got also have a plume on top, but only 2 of them...I will update with pics as it gets older...I am thinking pullet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by