1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Still needing advice. Please read!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by gooseegg, Apr 17, 2012.

1. gooseegg

gooseegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    I think my temp was too low for my goose egg. Day 27 and it could be under developed. I raised temp to 100. And humidity is now 70%. I stopped turning cooling and spraying. Not a very big air sac n it. I hope I'm doing everything correctly. I can't seem to get consistent advice. And in the process of trying to do whats right.. I probably am killing this little goose.. if it had any chance to begin with. Im getting frustrated because I can't get answers. :-( Im just watching it die I guess. I need someone to help me thru these last days of this. I have checked 20 times today for answers and nothing. So I check online and it tells me something else. So in desperation I try it because I don't know what to do. I need a phone number so I can call and talk to someone or a chat option so I can get answers.. because while waiting for someone to look at videos or answer questions.. i might not be doing the right thing! I cant find the answers online or in any directions here for hatching eggs. I tried to rescue this little egg now I am thinking it wasn't a good idea. I was told to lower humidity then I read to raise humidity, I was told too count the days the goose sat on it and then to not count the days, I tried one temperature now I am on another temp, I have also read to keep spraying and also to stop spraying. So now if he is under developed to I continue turning? I haven't turned him all day. I sprayed it today but then read I wasnt supposed to spray after day 25. I am so lost....

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Part of the problem would be you want instant answers, and instant results. Next part of the problem is taking advice from people new to hatching geese (just this year) over others who have been doing it much longer. I have referred you to Pete's hatching guide multiple times. If you sat and read it through a couple of times, and then asked questions referring to it then you wouldn't be so confused.

Also you can't try to run your humidity exactly like others unless you live in the same part of the country. Again you have been told multiple times to NOT raise the humidity until the gosling actually internally pips. You will know it has done this when you can see the bill moving freely around inside the air cell. At that time you raise it. Until then you keep it 35-40% to allow for air loss and air cell development.

If your temp was low during incubation then the days could be slightly off. Candling only once everyday is plenty and will allow you to monitor the air cell development.

Take a deep breath and re-read the hatching guide. It DOES really answer all of your questions and help you through the entire incubation period.

3. gooseegg

Mar 31, 2012
    Thank you. I live in Oklahoma. I had put the video I did on here and for some reason you couldn't see it. So I posted it on another part of this forum and was told that it looked like it wasn't as far along as it should be. Does it say anywhere on Petes guide that if the egg has been in a lower temperature than it should have been and behind on developing.. that I should or should not extend the spraying, cooling, and turning a couple days OVER the 27th day? I didn't see that on there. I also can't find a answer to the question of CAN the bird internally pip if there is a little air cell? I also am unsure if I need to continue spraying with water after the 27th day. I have read to do so, but have also read not to do so. So as it is.. I candled the egg 5 minutes ago and there is still movement. I have not turned it all day. I have sprayed it once today. temp close to 100 and my humidity is back down to 40%. Is there anything else I need to do. Just wait for it to internally pip or unfornately die? Or do I wait till the 30-32 day and then try to save it if it is still alive? Nothing I have done has helped the size of the air cell. Did you see my video yet? It is working now.

4. gooseegg

Mar 31, 2012
    Its morning. I don't know if to spray it, turn it, or let it cool... because Ihaven't found a answer to my questions. im scared to do anything. Please let me know what to do. If I could please get the answers from below (from my message yesterday) it would make it MUCH easier to proceed. Thank you much.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  5. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    I did see the video, it did look under developed, but I am still not sure the movement you are seeing is the live gosling and not the vibrations from your hand. You need to candle directly down into the egg from the top (fat end) and try and keep the egg standing on pointy end. It gives a better vantage point. The angle you held it at made it very hard to see everything clearly.

6. gooseegg

Mar 31, 2012
    Thank you.It is alive (maybe barely). My hands are VERY still while holding the egg. Before you get offline can you answer the following please so I know what to do, :

Does it say anywhere on Petes guide that if the egg has been in a lower temperature than it should have been and behind on developing.. that I should or should not extend the spraying, cooling, and turning a couple days OVER the 27th day? I didn't see that on there. I also can't find a answer to the question of CAN the bird internally pip if there is a little air cell? I also am unsure if I need to continue spraying with water after the 27th day. I have read to do so, but have also read not to do so. So as it is.. I candled the egg 5 minutes ago and there is still movement. I have not turned it all day. I have sprayed it once today. temp close to 100 and my humidity is back down to 40%. Is there anything else I need to do. Just wait for it to internally pip or unfornately die? Or do I wait till the 30-32 day and then try to save it if it is still alive?

7. gooseegg

Mar 31, 2012
    on a side note.. unless the nerves are moving really well after its dead? I don't know. I would think there would be no movement. When I candle down thru the aircell I can't see anything. Its very dark with a distinct line between light and dark. (air and matter inside the egg)

8. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    It's a given that if the temps are ran too low then the development will be slower.

9. gooseegg

Mar 31, 2012
    Not a given when you have no idea what your doing. I still don't have any answers to my questions. never mind.

10. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Temps would have to be significantly lower to truly slow the development down greatly. .5-1 degree is not enough to cause days worth of delay.

It may or may not pip internally with a smaller air cell. However interfering can result in instant death.

There are no absolutes, only this is what you have done and this may or may not help in reaching a successful hatch.

You are positive it's alive, so then keep incubating. I can not confirm this though as every image I have seen doesn't show defined movement. Also the images do not show the air cell straight on so again can't help by offering ideas since I can't see what's going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by