Still new at this, my Buff went broody how do I stop her??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by celticfarmer, Aug 17, 2010.

1. celticfarmer

celticfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    So here is the rundown, my buff went all weird on me. I replaced her other three friends with 3 5 month old buff pullets. She layed a few eggs and then layed one and just sat on it for a day. So I pulled the eggs out, and she had a total fit so I put a golf ball in her nest just to ghet her to shut up. Then I left for a couple of days. When I came back she was still sitting on the blasted golf ball after three days.

So then I take out the golf ball while she is sleeping and took her out of the nest box and put her on the roost. I come back and she is back sleeping in the nest box again.

I have no clue what is going on with this silly bird. Could someone help me out please?

2. mama2many

mama2many Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    I have a silkie that acts the same way. I have just accepted that she will forever sleep in that box. She lays her egg now in another box and goes back to the first box at night. She too went broody and my 4 year old shoved her off the nest every day to take her egg. (Much to my dismay as I am not opposed to more babies, he however is and "these are my chickens mom". Yes nay sayers my 4 year old picks out our chicken breeds, which explains the diversity.)Anyway back to the point. Do you have enough room for her to sleep in that box? It is a pain as it gets stinky fast but I think she just feels safer in there. She is a bantam in with the biggies in my case. Mine quit laying all together and just stayed broody for a couple of days and is now back to normal. All this took almost 3 weeks of shoving off the nest, then sitting on nothing and now back to normal. I would take the ball and see if she snaps out of it......

Good Luck.

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Take her off the nest... remove eggs/golf balls.... take her outside the coop in the morning and give her food/treats and water... you may have to do this several times a day until she gets it. If this doesn't work then shut the door to the coop and leave her outside of the coop for several hours... distract her. She'll get back to normal.

4. celticfarmer

celticfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    I have also noticed that she looks rougher than normal (she's not real pretty to begin with) and there are more feathers in the coop than normal. I think she might be getting weird cause she's molting.

Would that cause weird behaviors?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by