Still new to all this

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sjthawk, Jan 13, 2017.

1. sjthawk

sjthawk Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2016
    One of my girls has cut on the top of her foot. Does that warrant me having to quarantine her until she gets better I read somewhere that if a hen is injured the others will pick on her should I quarantine her till it heals

2. CoopintheWoods

CoopintheWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Place her with her own heat lamp, food, and water in a cage or dog crate in the coop. If she becomes stressed (for example, if she stops laying), quarantine her somewhere warm. Keep a light on during the day and shut if off at night. Play one of the long (10 or 12 hour) recordings of chickens clucking from youtube. And be sure to clean her wound. She will recover soon.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I would just watch her and see if the others are leaving her alone. If it isn't bloody or open they might not even bother her. A product called Blue Kote is reported to deter pecking of wounds. It's available at farm and ranch stores. Good luck to you!

2 people like this.
  4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    x2.No need to separate.If she is high on the pecking order i think she will be fine.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

6. sjthawk

sjthawk Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2016
    Thank you all for the advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by