1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

STILL no eggs!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RavenStorm, Feb 22, 2009.

1. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Ok, so I just looked at the calendar, and I will have had my rescue Khaki Campbell for 26 weeks this coming Monday. I don't know how old she was when I got her, but I'm guessing anywhere from 5 days to a week and a half old already, so this means that she is well over the start age of laying. What gives? I know that everyone develops at their own pace, but has anyone here had a duck start laying later than this?

-There is no place for her to hide them, and she has a nest box
    -Her food is ad lib, and it is still the 20% CP starter ration since she hasn't layed yet + scratch/bugs/plants in her foraging
    -We live in sunny SoCal, and even though the weather has been a bit more rainy than normal recently she still gets tons of sunlight
    -We do not have a rat/snake/etc. problem
    -The weather has been cold recently (for us), with an average rage of high 60's in the day and low 40's at night

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I really know nothing about ducks and egg laying, but I just wanted to say, I had some chickens who didn't start laying until 30 weeks!!! [​IMG] I had completely given up! Now they all lay an egg a day. Good luck with your girl, I am sure she is just a late bloomer. [​IMG]

3. RavenStorm

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Quote:Gosh I hope so, my DBF is constantly referring to her as *Insert Holiday Name Here* Dinner. Example: Back in December he was calling her Christmas Dinner, in January is was Chinese New Year Dinner, now he is calling her Easter Dinner ... lol I can't leave her here with him when I go to visit my family because she might have "run away" by the time I get back if she doesn't lay soon! She has become my baby, ain't no way he is putting a finger on her so she needs to lay soon!

4. RavenStorm

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Ok wow, now I feel like a silly a**. Apparently, the old saying that squeaky wheel gets the grease is right, because the DAY AFTER I wrote this post to complain about my Booger, she laid an egg and I didn't even notice it! She got a little scrape on a toe so I kept her in the garage quarantine cage last night and when I went to go let her out with her buddies I was so shocked to see a nice-sized egg next to her! That made me curious, so I went to go check her nest box in the normal cage and there in the very back, darkest corner was another egg! She must have laid the first one in the late afternoon after I checked in the morning, and I'm so happy that she is already doing one egg a day! No holiday dinner platter for my baby!

5. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    My ducks started laying at like 20 weeks and havent stopped...I have 4 eggs every morning! I is a crested,1 a white layer,2 mallards...I wish they would stop..I dont use the eggs and they dont sit on them!!

6. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If you can't use the eggs fast enough they do freeze very well.

7. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Yup, ducks will sometimes try and hide their eggs. Sometimes mine half bury their eggs in the litter on the coop floor...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by