Still no eggs:(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by genetics chick, Sep 16, 2009.

1. genetics chick

genetics chick New Egg

Jul 24, 2009
    Oxford, ct
    We are newbie's. About six weeks ago we purchased 6 hens that were 18 weeks old. They should be around 24weeks now and we haven't had one egg yet. We feed them layer pellets and they eat like pigs. We let them free range when ever we can, at least a half hour per day and someday longer. They all just recently started sleeping on their perches, before this week they were sleeping in their nesting boxes. All have their combs and waddles out now, but they're not really bright red. I'm wondering if they were really 18 weeks when we bought them from the garden center. If anyone has any suggestions as to what we are doing wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    They'll lay when they become mature, unless you have roosters instead of hens!

Sometimes weather and diet are minor factors, but it is mostly that they are ready at different rates. They'll usually start to lay about 3 days after you're ready to tear out your hair and give up.
    [​IMG]

Do check and make sure that they are not hiding eggs someplace unexpected already, or eating them, though.

If they are free ranging only a half hour, they've not likely ninja-laid in the shrubs, but it's possible.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  3. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    There have been instances where people who intend to buy pullets at point of lay instead end up with ones that are a few weeks younger than claimed. Do you have a picture of them? You can get an idea of how mature they are by the size and color of their wattles and combs. If they're big and red, it is an indication that they are or are close to laying.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't think they were the age you thought they were. Do you have pics?

5. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I agree with these 3 posts. And let me be the first to say.....[​IMG]!

6. genetics chick

genetics chick New Egg

Jul 24, 2009
    Oxford, ct
    These pics were taken about 4 weeks ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. staceyl

staceyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Well, the good news is that doesn't look like a rooster - the bad news is that it doesn't look like a 24 week to me - looks younger. Just one person's opionion though.

8. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    They're not near laying yet. They'll get a lot more red in the face and comb as they get close.

She does look chunky enough though, if the pic was 4 weeks ago, you may be getting close. You'll notice them getting dramatically redder about the face and come as they near lay.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  9. Roudyrooster

Roudyrooster New Egg

Jul 26, 2009
    Wilmington
    I feel your pain. We should be getting somewhere around a dozen eggs a day and we aren't getting any. Something you can try is putting golf balls or fake eggs in their nests. This will do two things: so them where to lay and let you know if something is getting the eggs before you do. Good luck!

10. staceyl

staceyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Try going out and buying a dozen eggs - then they will lay the next day. That worked for 2 of my chickens.
    Worked on my tomatoes too - went out and bought a flat to can and then boom - next day I started get ripe tomatoes.
    Murphy is in effect at my house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by