1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Still no eggs.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rainplace, Nov 17, 2009.

1. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

EVERYDAY I look for some eggs, and everyday I am disappointed. My production runners are 5 months old today. Shouldn't they give me something any day now? I purposely don't let them out till 8:30 to try to encourage them to lay in the duck house... does it work that way? I'm a very sad panda.

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I don't want to rain on you, but there is a good chanch now that they won't start until the days start to get longer (after Christmas). Runners are great layers but they still respond to the season and when the days start to get longer is the natural time to start. Once established most ducks lay early in the morning, when they first start up they may vary quite a bit and even skip days.

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I'm going to go cry now. I had been hoping for a sunny parade! [​IMG]

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I couldn't find eggs at all for EVER! Then I found my duck was just randomly laying them while she was out swimming in the pond. IF we're lucky, I can fish out 1 or 2 now and then with a fishing net. However, with a 2 acre pond they are enjoying, she rarely lays one near our end of the bank. [​IMG]

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Rainplace--5 months is the average for starting to lay. With the days getting shorter, it will probably take them a little longer than the average. But you probably won't have to wait too much longer. I had ducks that reached maturity about this time a couple years ago, and they started laying on Thanksgiving Day. When you're checking for eggs every day, it seems like FOREVER before they start laying. But it will be here before you know it.

I have ducks nearing maturity now. I am not even planning on eggs until after Christmas. That way, if they start earlier, I won't be disappointed! LOL

Have faith--it won't be much longer now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by