1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Still No Eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Leah and peeps, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    [​IMG] So the girls are hitting 25 weeks and still no eggs!! [​IMG] The wait is killing me! Why arent my girls laying!? What gives?
    What is the latest that anyones chickens have started to lay? Youngest?

Thanks

2. Samilitant

Samilitant Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm in the same boat, but I just hit 22 weeks. I have 4 Easter Eggers and 2 Barred Rocks. The only thing I could think of is maybe their coop is too dark and they think it's winter(even though we just came off 100 degree days a few weeks ago). I'm going to put a light on a timer in tomorrow to encourage laying throughout the winter...just have to figure out how long to have it on. I'm thinking 6pm-9pm. I hear just a 40-watt(or equivalent) works fine...in fact I'm considering maybe little solar powered walkway lights installed in the roof, or(since no direct sunlight there), a solar shed light which uses a remote panel I could mount in the sun and run the wires. Then I would just have to figure out a way to turn it on/off at the right time(without having outlet power). Man this got off topic..sorry.

One other thought is this; I had been free ranging my chickens until they started getting too close to the neighbors yards, so now i keep them in the coop and feed them in the morning, and sometimes treats otherwise, but I don't have a hanging "all you can eat" feeder. I think I may set one of those up tomorrow too.

25 weeks though!? What breed are they? Funny, I was just thinking about posting about that topic. [​IMG]

3. Leah and peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    The wait is just terrible though isnt it!
    I hope your girls start to lay soon. And Im also going to put in a light timer soon.
    They are Red and Black Sex-links. So that makes it even more suprising that they arent laying yet! It not like they are known for being a slow layer...

4. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    I had a Light Brahma lay at just over 4 months (youngest)...and my true Ameraucanas haven't laid at all...they are 22 weeks old. Hang in there...

5. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    My pullets are a little over six months and still not laying...They're as red as can be in the faces, but they don't go in the nest boxes or do the squat thing either. [​IMG]

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    They'll get there, hang in there until then! (I've got a 14 month old Silkie who has yet to lay an egg!).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  7. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    ;)The wait is hard but it will happen. My BO's didn't lay untill they were 26 wks old. It will just be more exciting when they do

8. Leah and peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:Same with mine! No squat, i geuss their faces are red, but i dont have anything to compare them to except for my 12 week chanteclers and wyandotte. No egg song, but i can tell they ahve been inside the nesting box. We are putting in golf balls later. Im still hopeful! [​IMG]
    Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

9. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Quote:Same with mine! No squat, i geuss their faces are red, but i dont have anything to compare them to except for my 12 week chanteclers and wyandotte. No egg song, but i can tell they ahve been inside the nesting box. We are putting in golf balls later. Im still hopeful! [​IMG]
    Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

Red in the face comb and wattle growth, none of mine squat so don't count on it, look for hidden nest if you free range. You can check the vent to see if it looks like someone laid you will see a difference from non layer to layer. My pullet that I didn't know was laying showed me the hidden nest yesterday. 6 eggs

10. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I read a post on here recently about an EE that waited until she was 60 weeks old.....

Patience is a virtue that chicken owners do not possess!!! Splat!!! <- good egg vibes coming your way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by