Still.No.Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HeatherEmme, Aug 22, 2013.

1. HeatherEmme

HeatherEmme Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    My hens are 23 weeks old and still haven't laid any eggs. Please tell me we have some others on here with late bloomers, too. My black australorp's comb and wattle are practically candy apple red and very noticeable. I thought for sure she'd be laying by now.

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Very normal

3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I have had hens take up to 8 months before they started laying.

4. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    24 weeks is average so they really aren't late yet -- but I know waiting is hard. Check to make sure they aren't hiding eggs somewhere but I don't think you need to worry yet. Breed is a factor and also quality of breeding. Generally 5-8 months is the range I will see eggs for my mixed flock. I had a silkie not start laying until 13 months.

5. HenMcGhie

HenMcGhie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2013
    my two RIRs are 23 weeks also and still not laying.

6. HeatherEmme

HeatherEmme Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    Thanks guys! Good to know that the hens are 'abnormal' in their laying yet. On a good note DH has told me that he heard the hens clucking loudly and doing the 'egg song' (when they are normally very quiet). I'm crossing my fingers this means we'll have fresh eggs soon!

7. sumrfun65

sumrfun65 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Oregon
    We have three that are about 26 weeks. The red rock has been laying for about a month. One of the two Plymouth Rock just started this week and the other has just started her squatting so probably another week or two. It was hard waiting for that first one. Good luck hope your ladies start soon!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by