Still not feathering?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by spaceranger, Aug 10, 2011.

1. spaceranger

spaceranger Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    Hi
    Polly my raised indoors baby is a little over a week old and is only just getting her wing feathers where as the chicks raised outside with mumma are all really feathered even the ones who hatched after polly, should I worry?

2. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I have not personally had the two to compare, however, it is my understanding that possibly the heat lamp we use indoors kind of slows down their feathering as there are not breaks in the heat like a chick naturally gets from mom. Also, are they the same breed? Different birds within my Easter Eggers feathered at different times under same brooder lamp, I figured maybe due to their "muttness" may have different time frames for feathering. How many birds are being raised inside compard to out with momma bird? Good luck.

3. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I've raised chicks in a brooder, and with a mama hen. There is a HUGE difference in how fast they feather out. The ones outside with Mama had fully feathered wings and little tails at 1 week. The ones in the brooder didn't do that till 2 weeks or more.

4. spaceranger

spaceranger Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    Quote:Ohh Thanks so much! My Chick is doing great other than the disctinct lack of feathers! xxx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by