Still not laying after molt.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sukochickens, Nov 7, 2016.

1. sukochickens

sukochickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    Virginia
    I have 4 buff Brahma that are 2 and 1/2 years old. They went through a pretty rough molt starting the middle of the summer and stopped laying. I figured no big deal, it's normal and they'll start laying once they're done molting. Well, it's been a few months now, feathers have grown back and they're still not laying. I don't think it's from the season. They laid all through the winter last year. I also have 3 Easter Eggers that I just got this spring. They just started slowing down in their laying last week. So I know that's from the changing season. Are my Brahmas just done laying all together? Anything I can do or try? Thank you!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Most hens lay the best during their first season and than production drops each season after that. You probably won't see much out of them until spring. It can help to feed a higher protein feed than layer. Something with 18-20% can optimize laying in older birds who often get deficient on layer. I use a non medicated grower or an All Flock ration. I provide a separate bowl of oyster shells for the extra calcium needs. I have had good luck getting better production out of older hens on higher protein.

3. sukochickens

sukochickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    Virginia
    Great info thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by