STILL not laying...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Warfrost, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Warfrost

Warfrost Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Madera
    Ok..I've had my Ameraucanas since summertime last year...and STILL not a single egg. I am not sure if this breed is slow to mature or if I'm doing something wrong, but I AM getting frustrated. They seem to be mature and happy- they get plenty of food and get to free range all day. My hubby is getting annoyed that we keep pouring food down their throats and STILL haven;t gotten a single egg. Argh! Anyone know if Ameraucanas are slower to mature?

2. chickengrandma

chickengrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Ditto!

I have a "variety-pack" of little-girl Bantams that are just about the exact age of your girls. I thought they would be laying for a good month already. Not so much!

One of my girls JUST started laying last week at 29 weeks. The remaining girls are a bunch 'o freeloaders!

Sorry, I didn't help you any, but I couldn't resist a "ME TOO!!!!" moment with you!

3. KingSpeck

KingSpeck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    From what I hear they are slow starters. My EE just started at 28 weeks but has laid an egg 4 out of five days since then. Do you know when they hatched/ how many weeks they are?

4. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you sure they're not laying in the bushes somewhere? If they're free-ranging all day they could have a nice clutch of eggs hidden somewhere.

5. Warfrost

Apr 21, 2009
    Madera
    Quote:I wish we had bushes! Lol...we just have some very low ground cover. I guess I'll just have to be a bit more patient!

6. Warfrost

Apr 21, 2009
    Madera
    Quote:Well, it does make me a bit cheered up to know I'm not insane! We can hang in there...since I'd be the one to send them to freezer camp, They can have all the time they need;)

7. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    My Ameraucanas were my first of my girls to lay - at @ 22-23 weeks. They also gave me an egg apiece nearly every day!

However, they are the last to come off their winter break. SO...I'm thinking that soon you will have lots of pretty blue eggs. I think your biggest problem is the season. Hang in there. [​IMG]

8. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I have found one of my hens broody on the side of the ditch over twenty yards from her coop before. She had actually dug a hole and lined it with pine straw. Well if they are free range and laying they can find anywhere to hide their eggs. If she can fit she will go. [​IMG] Many people have said on these posts that EEs are slower than normal to mature. My EEs are only 7weeks so I really don't know. [​IMG]

9. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I dont feel so bad now,
    I have 3 ameraucana hens and they havent
    layed a single egg, at almost 5months old .
    [​IMG]

10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Id bet money you will find a big clutch of eggs somewhere. When they free-range, they find a really inconspicuous spot to lay. I have one barred rock in my breeding pen, and didnt realize she was hopping out, going to the barn, laying an egg behind the hay, and then hopping back in the breeding pen, until I stayed home from work one day and watched chicken TV, and saw the whole episode. And found 16 eggs under the hay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by