Still not sure about this one

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NosiphoChooks, Jan 8, 2013.

1. NosiphoChooks

NosiphoChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    I'm starting to think its a bantam araucana since its so short and stumpy. Anyway this little one still acts like a hen and is so sweet and cuddley, Its just the curly tail feathers which throw me. I have posted this one a couple of times but s/hes about 14weeks now and I'm hoping people might be able to give me a definate answer :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    not sure but could be part dominique . I have a breed that looks similar to this one mine is 1/2 silkie and dominique

3. NosiphoChooks

Nov 2, 2012
    I really dont know, they man I got it from called it a silver lace araucana, but it doesnt really look anything like my lavender araucana apart from the face minus the tufts. I dont really mind since this little one is my favourite anyway regardless of what it is! The guy I got its from though keeps show birds and they are all penned seperately. Any idea on the sex?

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    over here in the states araucanas dont really breed ture to color, and not all get tuffs. So yours might be the same over there, this I dont know. But in a few more weeks if it is a rooster, you'll see the saddle feathers at the base of the tail comming in.

5. NosiphoChooks

Nov 2, 2012
    Lets hope it is a girl cus I have a rooster already and don't want any battles of wills! Anyone else like to hazard a guess?

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    At 14 weeks, that's a pullet.

7. NosiphoChooks

Nov 2, 2012
    Happy chooks - I really hope so because shes my favourite and I wouldn't be able to give her up! She always tries to follow me in the house and walks at my feet like a puppy [​IMG]

8. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    [​IMG]I thought I show you my rooster ( too early to tell 3 months old) He is 1/2 Dominique a nd 1/2 silkie.
    [​IMG]

9. NosiphoChooks

Nov 2, 2012
    Aw hes lovely, if it is a pullet they would make a lush pair! Havnen't a clue what breed/s it is though he is quite strict with which chickens go in which pens which is why I go to him. He is usually spot on. Maybe the stumpy legs and funny colours are a genetic throwback! I'll have to go over and ask to look at his araucanas again. My chook hasn't got those long feathers on it's neck though and the wings don't look so pointy. I'm going to wash and blow dry them all this weekend anyway so wil have a really good look.

10. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    maybe he's working on a new color? I had a Silver laced Wyandotte/EE chick that looked similar to that, only one of the parents was laced, so the chicks lacing was muddy.
    unless she's supposed to be cuckoo, she has white/pink legs

This is from the British Araucana website:
    Legs in all colours, (except cuckoo) willow to olive or slate. Cuckoo: white, some spotting allowed

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by