Still not sure on breed, plus gender help on BR's

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by apryl, Aug 24, 2010.

1. apryl

apryl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Southern Kentucky
    I posted my older birds a month or so ago, they are now 19 wks old, I know I have 2 roosters and a hen, but their colors continue to change with more of a cream feather color, and more brown mixed in. Any ideas what they might be, even if its a mix of something?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my girl
    [​IMG]

Then I have 4 BR's. 1 I know is a roo, the others Ive thought were pullets, however I noticed today their tail feathers are getting pretty long.

[​IMG]

These 2 I thought were pullets but now Im not too sure
    [​IMG]

all 3 pullets?
    [​IMG]

the very front one a rooster the other 3 Im not positive
    [​IMG]

2. apryl

apryl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Southern Kentucky
    oh and all of the BR's are the same age.

3. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    I will be absolutely no help on gender, but I am fairly positive that you have dekalb amberlinks. They are a mix that you would get from a hatchery kind of like golden comets. The roos will have more of the brownish amber color but the pullets can get some too. There isn't much info out there about them and most people haven't heard of them yet. They are very good free range birds that will lay a brown egg.

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:I have never seen or heard of this breed. Is it normal for the pullets to have such huge shanks like the one in the picture? The legs look like a roos but it is obviously a pullet.

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:I have never seen or heard of this breed. Is it normal for the pullets to have such huge shanks like the one in the picture? The legs look like a roos but it is obviously a pullet.

I was referring to the 5th pic.

6. elieugene6

elieugene6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Western ny
    I am really not sure. I know that they are a mix from the hatchery but my first experience with them was just recently as well and I wouldn't have even known what they were if someone on here hadn't told me. Being that they are a mix from a hatchery there is a wide variety of color variances. Mine actually have almost no brown on them. But the majority of the pictures I have seen there was quite a bit of brown. The only hatchery that I have seen that has them is mt healthy hatchery in ohio which is where our local tsc got them from.

7. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I hate to say it, but in the picture with 2 and 3 BRs, they ALL are roos. I can't get the angle right for the others. Sorry [​IMG]

8. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Going by the tail feathers Id say all BR are roos but they dont have very large combs. My roo is almost 3 months will be September 1 and he has a big red comb and wattle.
    Here he is at 8 weeks

[​IMG]

9. apryl

apryl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Southern Kentucky
    Yes the 3 I thought were pullets have very small combs and the color is considerably lighter than the one I know is a roo... it was the tail feathers that had me scratching my head. They were all hatched the same day, but the 3 are a bit smaller than the 1 known roo. They are currently15 wks old. No one is crowing... yet.

10. apryl

apryl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2010
    Southern Kentucky
    Not sure if these pictures will help at all, but same birds at 12 wks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]