still not using the nesting box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Anny, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I put a golf ball in the nesting box, and a rock that looks like an egg, they chicken instead kicked them out of the nesting box, and sat on them on the ground, and them layed an egg in the other corner...What do I do now?

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    What are you using for nesting boxes? I wonder if maybe they don't feel secure enough in the boxes to lay eggs there.

3. Anny

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Two of chickens were sleeping in the nesting boxes when I first brought them home. Here is a picture of the box:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. TanksHill

TanksHill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    Vista, Ca.
    What type of nesting material? My girls like several inches of shavings. I think it cushions their bum!

5. Anny

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I stuff it with a nice layer of straw and I put a gold ball and "egg like" rock in the next.

6. buc

buc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    kansas
    Quote:collect the eggs they are laying and enjoy them, this will hopefully get them to stop laying them where you don't want them to.

then look at the size of the box (yes - size matters) if it is too small they may not go in them to start - two big and they may fell unsafe

7. lisameeks

lisameeks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2008
    Did you ever get them to use the nests? I'm having the same thing with mine--anywhere but the nests--the dropping board, the floor, the run. Only two of my nine use the nests. I've blocked off some areas and someone on the forum said for me to try to make the coop darker around the nests and to block off the roosts during the day, even to keep them locked up during the day until the afternoon. You could respond to me directly at [email protected] if that's easier.

8. Anny

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Nope still not using the box, but they only use one stop near the pop door now. haha weird little chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by