Still on starter grower?

Henmaster5000

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 15, 2009
OrlandoIsh
I have 14 week old RIRs and I still have them on starter grower . The nbag said it's formulated for chickens untill onset of egg production. When should I start them on layer crumbles? I hear most RIRs egg production starts @ 16 to 18 weeks. Thanks!

Baby chicks need around 20% protein. 14 week old chicks can get away with less, 16% maybe. If they have access to other food (free range, lots of scraps, corn at night), then a higher protein feed will be balanced out. Now, I don't think it is the end of the world to feed 20% protein feed to 14 week old chicks. It is an economics issue mostly. Protein is usually the highest cost ingredient. But, if your 20% protein feed costs no more than a 16% non-layer alternative, then why switch? Personally, if the feed is non-medicated, I would keep using it, but mix it 50-50 with oats. If the feed is medicated, I would use it up and start layer feed (or get one bag of non-medicated 16-18% protein feed).

This is all assuming the feed you are asking about is ~20% protein. You didn't specify
wink.png

I like 20% layer feed. Whenever I switch feeds for any of my animals I always do a mix of old and new, 25/75, then 50/50, then 75/25 and finally 0/100. A couple of days of each mixture. It's a safer way to do it. And it can make the transition easier, especially when the feed texture is different, ie crumbles to pellets.

Last edited:
I feed everything (chicks, growing birds, layers and breeders) a unmedicated Starter/ Grower that is around 21% protein. When my hens start to lay I supplement with vitamin/mineral mix..

Now my SQ (show Quality) RIR's wont start laying till there around a year old, hatchery RIR's should start laying a little sooner.

Just keep in mind that most birds are still growing till they start to lay eggs. Once a hen starts to lay she will do little growing

Chris

Last edited:
Cool thanks everyone! Was just making sure I wAsn't stunting their growth or something
I have hachery RIRs so they will start to lay around 9 months old ya think?

Back
Top Bottom