Still on the duck search...what kind are these? *New pic added*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aduckstolemyheart, Oct 27, 2010.

1. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Looking for a hen for my flock still and I found an ad for some ducks. No breeds listed, just a pic. Unless my eyes deceive me, looks like Pekins, a few Swedes and the others, I am not sure. Are those Campbells?? Can anyone tell?

Also found a runner not too far away...

Not sure how different Runners are to raise than other ducks. Any insights?

Here's the ad, input would be wonderful!
    http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/2028246798.html

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Runners are a little bit on the nervous side. The pictures on craigs list look very nice, and the pond looks fenced in. Not sure how much human handling they had, but assume they did because they labeled them barnyard friendly. I would contact the lister and ask if you can visit and a pick a nice hen for your flock. I would think they will round them up for you to pick from.

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quite a variety they've got there. They look like pekins, swedes and mallards from what I can see in the photo.

4. aduckstolemyheart

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Thanks guys! I'm thinking maybe one of the Swedes (assuming they have a hen) would be the best fit, considering the duck that she will be paired with is a Black Swede.

My concern with the runner is that she may wander, and there is access to the neighbors and a street. My ducks go nowhere near them, but I heard runners are more adventurous and mobile than other breeds.

5. aduckstolemyheart

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Ok, none of the Swedes are hens! But she does have this brown hen, that she said was a brown swede, and obviously, that's not it! So my question is, can anyone ID this hen for me? Even a rough idea of breed will be great!

The darker brown hen is her Rouen but she the lighter brown one is the unknown hen.

Any ideas??

[​IMG]

6. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    None of those ducks appear to be purebreds lol. The Blue Swedish have eyestripes! [​IMG]

I would say she is some Random Mallard/Rouen mixed with Buff and maybe some Saxony...

Very Cute though!

7. aduckstolemyheart

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Lucky for us, we don't care about whether they're purebred. All we care about is giving our poor Swede someone to cuddle with this winter! Although all my ducks get along, My Pekins have kind of buddied up and my poor Swede has no mate/cuddle buddy. Trying to find a hen this close to winter has been SO hard! There's an absolutely beautiful chocolate Runner for sale over here too, but I am just not sure how well a runner would fit in here. [​IMG]

8. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Her face has some of the Saxony markings, but the rest is way to dark and it looks like there is some blue in her wings. She looks very pretty. I say go with the look you like the most.

9. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    That little brown hen looks gorgeous.

Not sure what you have heard about Runners. Mine do not wander anywhere, they like to stay near the food and water! You probably find that each individual duck, whatever the breed, has its own personality, but this is all within the same general parameters of just being a duck!

Runners can move fast due to their non-waddling gait, but from my experience my mallards could run fast it was just a more waddly run or they would flap/jump/fly if they needed to get up a real speed.

My runners are lovely and keep each other company really well. They will eat out of my hand and come running when I approach the gate. not too loud and they won't fly away. I am also hoping they will lay me lots of eggs soon too!

10. aduckstolemyheart

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Thanks guys! Picking a new duck is hard!

I really haven't heard too much about runners! Just that they are fast and are very good foragers. Someone mentioned that they wander a lot to forage, and I guess it freaked me out a bit as I would worry.

Good to know that's not necessarily the case!

Here's a pic of the runners:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by