Still one more to go--Update and pictures!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cici_p, Apr 14, 2009.

1. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Took all of my hatched chicks out of the bator today. I had three eggs left--two with no pips, and one with a pip that hadn't done anything for 24 hours. The first two were dead babies--one malformed, one perfectfly formed that had just never tried to make it out. They were both moist, and I don't think there was any problem with my humidity. The other one has a live baby in it. I peeled back a little of the shell where it had pipped, and it started chirping at me! I then put it back in the incubator with a wet paper towel over it, and left it be. Came back for lunch right now and it is still sitting in the same position, not doing anything, but chirps at me when I pick up the egg. It's nose is poked into the air pocket, so it can breathe.
    What should I do???
    I feel like whatever I do will probably be wrong [​IMG] I am sure I will come home to a dead baby in shell tonight, but if I try to help it now, I am afraid I will make it worse.
    It is only day 22 for this little one, but the rest of the hatch was over with last night, so this one is now 12 hours behind the others, and it has been almost 36 hours since it first pipped. Maybe I should have left it alone in the first place, but just had the feeling it needed help. (Please don't yell at me!)
    I did peel back a little bit more of the shell, and hit a small amt of blood, so I quit and put it back in the bator with a re-moistened paper towel over the egg. I also have been raising my humidity in the bator to 65-70%
    Help please!!
    Thank you!!!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I do not help. I believe that if they cannot make it out of the shell on their own, there is a reason why.

This being said, my last hatch, I waited until the end of day 23 (almost day 24), and went to open the last that did not hatch, and it was alive - same thing you did. I put it back in, and it ended up hatching on its own. It is VERY small (less than half the size of its siblings).

I also had one that pipped, I could see the beak poking in & out of the shell. I left it. It died. It's sad, but I knew something had to be wrong. Sure enough, when I finally opened it 36 hrs. later, it had intestines outside.

Do what YOU are comfortable with...for me, that is to not help, but you have to find your own comfort level.

3. cici_p

Feb 27, 2009
    Came home this evening and the little chickie had hatched all on his own!!!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He looks fine, perfectly formed. I took him out of the incubator to check him, and then put him back in to let him dry out some more. He is very noisy and active!
    [​IMG]
    I have 8 chicks now!
    Now I can start obsessing about brooding temperatures instead of incubator temperatures. . .then two more weeks until my duck and goose eggs hatch. . .

4. thebigroo

thebigroo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    NC
    I am new but I think CiCi is right. Good luck

5. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    Yippee![​IMG] I'm so happy for you; congrats on your hatches!

6. cici_p

Feb 27, 2009
    Here is a pic of the new baby. No, not dead, just exhausted [​IMG]

[​IMG]

S/he is the prettiest silvery color! I'm on top of the world that s/he made it out! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by