Still only one a day!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsfarmerg, Jul 31, 2013.

1. mrsfarmerg

mrsfarmerg New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    Bolivar, Missouri
    I have 5 Black Sex-Link hens. They were 6 months old this past Saturday. One of them has been laying regularly for about 3 and a half weeks. She is the ONLY ONE laying! All of them have nice, red combs. They are all very healthy. I recently checked all of their vents to make sure there were no problems. Am I too anxious? I was told they should start laying by 5 or 6 months and yet still only 1 egg a day. :( I will say that although the temps have been cooler over the past 4 or 5 days, we did have some hot ones in the middle part of this month. Any advice?

Here is a picture of my layer.

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    6 months is average time to start laying, sounds like they're just slower to start. I'd just see how things go over the next few weeks. If they have large red combs, like the bird in the pic, they should be close to laying.

The only other thing I can think of is do they free range? If so, an intensive egg hunt may be in order.

3. mrsfarmerg

mrsfarmerg New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    Bolivar, Missouri
    They only free range when supervised. We live in the city so that is the only way we can do it. A couple of them have combs that are more developed than this girl and still no eggs from them. Guess I will have to be patient! ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by