Still picking tomatoes?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sourland, Oct 12, 2011.

1. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is anyone else still picking tomatoes? Here in West central NJ we have not had a frost yet, and I am still picking tomatoes. This year I planted ten plants of six different heirloom varieties and I am still picking several tomatoes daily. I'm loving it - I never tire of BLT, Kielbasa and tomatoe, bologna and tomatoe, or pork roll and tomatoe sandwiches for lunch daily. [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    How I wish! Add tomatoes to the list of foods Gritty can't have. Nothing better than a tomato (fresh from the garden) and mayo sandwich. Or fried green tomatoes! [​IMG]

3. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Yep, same here.

I don't know WHAT I was thinking when I planted 25 plants.... I have so many "maters" I've resorted to washing them and putting them whole into freezer bags & tossing into the freezer. I guess I will toss them into soups & stews and spaghetti sauce when it's cold and snowy.

Oh and yeah, we are eating them like apples.....

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    What are you doing up this time of night? Aren't you old farts supposed to go to bed with the chickens?

5. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    Over the summer, ours pretty much cooked before they ripened from the heat - but now, they plants have revived, and are LOADED with tomatoes! Another week or so and we should have a bumper crop. Our peppers are also going crazy again...yum!

6. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I had a great summer run of tomatoes, but it's cooled off too much now and all I have is green ones. I did make a very tasty green tomato salsa, however.

7. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    One of these heirloom varieties is still green when it is ripe? Really a weird, ugly looking tomatoe, but it tastes great. The leaves are mostly starting to die, but the tomatoes are not rotting - they continue to ripen.

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Good on you sour! The deer have cleaned us out this year, not to mention all the squirrels and birds!

Hey Gritty, aren't you supposed to be cleaning like a madwoman? [​IMG]

10. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:[​IMG]

It's really not that funny [​IMG], and I was trying to ignore Gritty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by