still pretty young but wondering about gender

nova022

Songster
8 Years
Aug 3, 2012
This is the father of all the 3 week old barnyard mixes.

#1 below mother is a White Plymouth Rock. I think it is a female because the comb is pale and the feathers came in very quickly.

#2 (below)The mother is an EE and I believe it is a male because of the huge feet and more developed comb

#3 (below) The mother is either a Blue Andalusian or a Black Australorp. I believe it is a male because the comb is much redder than the others and it did not feather as quickly

#4 (below) the mother is the Buff Orpington pictured above. I believe it is a female because of the small pale comb. It feathered early and has very long tail feathers.

My guesses are only guesses and I am usually wrong, so I thought I would ask for your thoughts.

Last edited:
My guesses are the same as yours... I am usually right... but it is hard to tell from pictures. I go by the comb and the feathering... also the young cockerels seem to stand more upright. But I have been wrong plenty too.

How old is #2?
I'm not convinced it's a boy
#3 def is
They are all three weeks. They are all from the same hatch. Number two is much bigger than the others, though the picture showing all four together does not show it so much.

I am sure number three is a boy and one and four look like girls. I think two might be a girl too, but they are pretty young yet.

Agree that #3 is a boy and #1 & #4 look like girls so far. #2 does look like it has a single comb, it is typical EE girl colored so far, but that is a lot of comb for a three week old, voting on possibly boy with chance coloring.

Quote:
#2 does have a single comb, which none of my other EEs have. They are all pea combs. His mother is my largest EE and lays darker eggs than the others and was the same color as a chick. She is now more of a golden buff color and has a muff, which he does not. The comb size and the thick legs have me leaning toward a boy inspite of the girl color. The comb is getting bigger, but no red. The little black one is starting to feather in a silver color so I am pretty sure his mother was the Andalusian and not the Australorp. His comb is getting bigger and redder already. I can't wait to see him grown. Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Thanks for replying. There isn't much doubt on #3. : ) He is all boy. # 2 is still the one in question. The thick legs and big comb say boy to me, but my Sussex hen had such huge legs that I was convinced she was a cockerel right up till she laid her first egg. I also thought my rooster was a pullet even though the friend who gave him to us assured my husband he was giving him away because he was a roo and was fighting with the other roos. I am not much of a guesser. LoL

I thought I would up date the pictures of the chicks I was curious about. They are six months old now.
Axl was never much of a question, but he grew into a cockerel.

Reb I thought was a pullet

These both turned out to be girls. One lays olive eggs and the other light brown eggs.

Back
Top Bottom