Still Problems With Aggressive Rooster.. What Now..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ThornyRidge, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    And before anyone responds hatchet.. I am no kill!!!!! I have attempted the whole pick him up and carry him around.. kind of a nuisance when you are trying to do chores and have a little roo tucked under your arm.. I have also been doing the hold upside down by feet until calms down.. he is so stealthy and comes after your feet/legs and thumps you usually from behind and man it hurts.. he is a bantam cochin and he packs a whalop! Now he does not do it all of the time.. well just most of the time. I have a larger SSH roo that is "in charge" and usually goes after him if he is acting up but I have NEVER had a roo or chicken come after me or anyone until now.. I can't kill him and am just frustrated as I am dreading shorts weather..any other suggestions?

2. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    Maybe if he is too much, re-home him...?

3. new2chix

new2chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    New Palestine Indiana
    Always go to him first when you go in the pen - pick him up, carry him for a while right away. If he acts up, make yourself big (arms out, flap) and chase him all around. Then pick him up and carry him, and when you put him down, force him into the squat position in front of his ladies. That usually last a little while for mine - they are birdbrains, though, and have to be reminded every so often just who the big boss is.

4. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I swat my agressive rooster with a broom and then go after him with it again to swat him. I will keep after him with the broom until he backs off. He has been 'helped' across the coop and the yard a few times. This usually cures him of flogging me or DH for a few weeks. Then he needs his attitude readjusted again.

He is good at protecting the hens while they free range and I dont want to kill him just because he is doing what a rooster does.

5. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    I have New Jersey Giants for the first time, and these roosters are more aggressive then any other breed I have had.

I have found to control the bachelor flock, I can not tolerate any aggressive behavior from them. If they present their side profile to me , or peck the dirt around me with the come and get it call, I move towards them immediately until they turn tail and run. If they flog me, then I pin them to the ground like they do do a hen to mate. I have noticed if I am diligent about doing part one, I do not have to do part two.

6. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Culling is a part of keeping chickens. There are lots of ways to cull: the obvious (hatchet), give it away, sell it, or cage it.

If you can't cull then you need to find another hobby.

7. Superman11383

Superman11383 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Bunnell, Florida
    A chicken trade is always a good thing

8. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    -Agressive Roosters have no place in a Backyard Chicken flock. We are susposed to be keeping these birds for pleasure. Having to deal with a bird that must be constantly watched, because he may injure us is no fun in my opinion. The reason we still see alot of these manfighters is that too many people breed from them. This is an inherited trait and they should have no place in any breeding program no matter how large or small. There are simply too many really well behaved roosters available to condon this behavior. If you won't make a meal of him give him to someone who will.

9. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Quote:I totally disagree. It is not always about killing or giving up easily. I am looking for tride and true methods that may help. I am not a quitter and "culling" is not always part of keeping chickens or any other animal for that matter. Heck if it was that easy to give up guess we would be looking for ways to "cull" people. Also he is doing what he was intended to do. I personally am not scared of him I just want to readjust his attitude if possible. It justs frustrates me that people view chickens as easy come easy go/just eat it. Nope already made that claim- I don't eat my own animals nor will I knowingly give him away to be killed/eaten.

10. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Quote:I totally disagree. It is not always about killing or giving up easily. I am looking for tride and true methods that may help. I am not a quitter and "culling" is not always part of keeping chickens or any other animal for that matter. Heck if it was that easy to give up guess we would be looking for ways to "cull" people. Also he is doing what he was intended to do. I personally am not scared of him I just want to readjust his attitude if possible. It justs frustrates me that people view chickens as easy come easy go/just eat it. Nope already made that claim- I don't eat my own animals nor will I knowingly give him away to be killed/eaten.

I totally disagree. You might break one of his legs so he couldn't flog you so hard. These birds should not be kept in the gene pool.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by