Still really shaken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LaynaDon95, Feb 14, 2013.

1. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Today I got in a fairly large order (about 50 birds) from Ideal. They were all so cute! Healthy and beautiful. I walked outside a couple hours ago and found almost every one of them on the floor of the brooder, soaking wet and dying. Several of them were literally minutes from death. I scooped them up and started shouting for someone to come help. We rushed them to the bathroom, turned on the heater, put a heating pad in the sink, put them on the heating pad, and starting blowing them with a warm hair dryer. One in particular was doing exceptionally poorly. She just laid in the sink, eyes closed and barely breathing. I picked her up and started rubbing her chest, trying to warm her and keep her awake. My mom blew her with the hair dryer and she eventually perked up. I had my sister mix them up some warm electrolyte water. After awhile they dried off, warmed up and started falling asleep. I moved their brooder into the house for the night. All are still alive, amazingly. Praise God! I couldn't believe none of them died. I filled their waterer base with marbles to keep them out of it. As soon as I put the water back in the brooder with them they tried to climb into it, so I'm assuming that's how it happened. I am still shaking. I'm taking their water out before I go to bed. I'll put it back in the morning and monitor them all day tomorrow to make sure it doesn't happen again. My ducklings have the same kind of waterer, but they stay out of it. I don't know why the chicks try to sit in it. I'm checking on them about every five minutes right now to make sure none of died. It was so terrifying! Has anyone else had something like this happen?

2. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

When I get day old chicks, I don't use a chick waterer. I use the top of a Cool Whip container, that is as deep as it gets. Until they're about 3 days old, they're really good at drowning themselves. I put the cool whip top on top of a piece of plywood, so they have to hop up a little to get to it and they cant get too much bedding in the water.

3. showbarnmom

showbarnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    The whole reason I started keeping chicks is because almost a whole clutch drowned themselves in the water bowls at my work :( so I brought them home to save what was left.

4. rbaker0345

where do you work? Try the cool whip top thing and stop being so hard on yourself.

5. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    That's smart. I'll have to keep that in mind. Thank you for sharing that.
    How sad! I've never had this problem! I've raised lots and lots of chicks and only had one drown. He was deformed and couldn't walk well. He fell face first into the waterer and couldn't get back up. Other than that I've never had a problem. These guys seem to be determined to drown themselves, though. I've never seen chicks act like this.

6. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    Its really sad. And its made me even fill my big birds waters with rocks because I'm afraid they will drown.

7. rbaker0345

I don't know if this will help, but after raising chickens for 23 years, there is one thing I have learned and which bolsters me through the losses. No matter what you do, chickens will find a way to get killed. They're so accident prone. You deal with the emergencies, get through the losses and enjoy the living ones.

8. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    Hmm kinda like horses. Put them in padded stalls, and they find ways to hurt themselves!!! Great...now I've got 8 tiny two legged horses!

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They need some water 24/7 when under the lights and so little- can you use the marbles or rocks in the water to make it safe for them?

I am so glad that you saved them. I agree that baby chicks totally will find a way to get into trouble!!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  10. Niks11

Niks11 New Egg

Oct 20, 2012
    Hanging waterers work well! And also a small container like the cool whip. Ive never had any of my birds drown! But tons of other issues..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by