Still! Runny poop?! Why?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by smcjoj3, May 10, 2011.

1. smcjoj3

smcjoj3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    Rocky Point NC
    It seems like all my chicks have runny poop? half are older & live separately than the younger ones and the two sets have yet to meet.
    But I feel like both brooders have the runs? The younger bunch was looking a little more formed today, not toooo concerned with them, since they are only 1 1/2 weeks.... But the older bunch.....yikes. it is loose, liquidy & inconsistent, some of the poop occasionally is looking black. The 2 oldest of the group did have solid poop the first 2 weeks. then we introduced 2 more chicks. I feel since then everyone in that brooder has been irregular.
    This group does go outside for a 1-2 hrs a day to graze around. they do occasionally get treats, though not recently with the poop fest. DO you think it is the grazing outside causing the runs? or more likely one of them had something & gave it to all her roommates?
    Anyhow.... I will note that no one, in either brooder, has a poopy behind. Any suggestions you all can offer to help me clear up this matter would be greatly appreciated! My ladies are getting big...like ""they should have moved outside, but DH is s t i l l working on the coop"" Big ...so the brooder room is reeking!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

There are two kinds of poop that are normal for chicks...The regular looking bird poop that we'v all seen (white and black), and then there's the icky stuff, called cecal droppings....

Chicks often do this when they get excited, and it's runny, a butterscotchy sort of brown color, and it's stinky!

If that's what you're seeing, no worries!

It's normal.

3. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
  4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I don't know, but I'm having the same problem. It's been almost two weeks. I wish I knew how to fix it. I've been giving probios and apple cider vinegar in the water also.

5. smcjoj3

smcjoj3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    Rocky Point NC
    Ladies, thank you so much for the responses!

ETC: Oh my gosh, judging by the pictures on the link, apparently my messy ladies are totally 'normal' .... time to move outside! yuck!

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  6. lizch

lizch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    I worried about this all the time, and the cure turned out to be moving them out to the coop (at about 6 weeks old). It's entirely possible their poop is still just as runny, but since they do it into the wood shavings bedding and it gets absorbed pretty quickly, I just don't get to see it!!!

Maybe not the most responsible solution, but they seem 100% healthy and happy so I'm not feeling too bad about it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by