Still Scared at Bedtime....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by karmical, Aug 24, 2007.

1. karmical

karmical Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2007
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    I'm starting to worry that my girls are never going to be relaxed at bedtime!! They'll be 9 weeks old on Monday and have been out in their coop for the last three weeks. The coop doesn't get a ton of light, so I keep a light on in there during the day that's on a timer to come on after sunrise and off before sunset so that it isn't suddenly dark but they get the gradual light diminishing.

Still...everytime I'm down there at dusk there's a huge commotion going on. I can hear them peeping and pecking and scratching at their little door. When I peek in the window I can see them piling up in the corner and ducking under each other and on top of each other and chirping like crazy. I went in a couple of times to see if my presence helped calm them down, but they all just wanted to be on my lap together and do the same thing to me...trying to tuck into any nook they could find on me.

I have a roost in there for them that's about 2 feet high, and I've seen everyone but my two SFs up there at various times throughout the day, but they still like to sleep together all huddled up....even when they nap during the day they get into formation on the floor of the coop. I've thought about placing them on the roost at dusk, but I'm a little nervous about trying to "force" them to be up there when they can't see and are still wanting to huddle...etc. etc. etc.

So I guess what I'm wondering is...is there something I can do? am I doing something wrong? or do these things just take time and work themselves out? Will they outgrow it? I'm just so surprised that after three weeks they're still so nervous about it getting dark. I feel so bad that they have to go through this little trauma every night. [​IMG]

Anybody have any words of wisdom out there?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hmmmmmm, I would think they should be over the "night fright" by now. Maybe putting them on the roost will help them. Or a very dim night light? Im sure they will figure it out soon....good luck with them. They sound like mine.....spoiled to momma! LOL

3. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    Mine are 12 weeks old and they still pile up in the corners and boy do they ever squawk at night when they are put in the coop for the night. I hope they get over it soon, I feel bad for mine too.

4. lexustami

lexustami Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    St. Clairsville, OH
    I am willing to bet that they hear you coming and that is what is stirring them up. Mine are perfectly fine until they hear me and then they go crazy. I can see them roosting up in the window and as soon as they see me it is crazy city inside the coop.

Take care,

Tami

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Mine piled up until 13 or 14 weeks. One night they started roosting and
    have done so for several weeks now.

I wouldn't worry. It may take a few more weeks but they will get it.

Try putting some more things in their coop they can roost on. Even
    logs on the ground may get them roosting.

6. karmical

karmical Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2007
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    Thanks, everybody. I was surprised to hear that some of you have had this still happening at 12 weeks and later!! Makes the 9 week mark seem not so 'grown-up' after all [​IMG] I think I'll try what Purple Chicken suggested and put a log or something down in that corner of the coop where I know they end up piling up, and see if they don't start to get the idea about roosting.

Thanks again!!

PS - I loved lexustami's description, "crazy city inside the coop"!! That's just what it's like!!

7. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I've got a group that are over 6 months old that still do that. Of course they're Silkies which would explain some of it. They're wrestling for the preferred sleep spot and the strongest always wins.

8. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    How about a dim night light. That helped mine transition...

9. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Hey allen wranch the rooster on your post? had a pullett with those colors with feathers on legs was wondering what was the breed, sadly a predator got her.

RCGuidry

10. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    The rooster on my avatar is an Appenzeller Spitzhauben. They do not have feathered legs. A silver spangled Hamburg has similar coloring with no crests, different comb, and they don't have feathered legs either.

Sounds like you had a real pretty cross breed.

What part of Texas are you in ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by